MBP 2.2 w/ known 8600m GT issues, no Apple Care

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by joeybagadonutz, Dec 19, 2008.

1. joeybagadonutz macrumors member

I found a person who is selling a MBP 2.2 with current video symptoms. He purchased a new MBP and is selling his old one for "parts because it is out of warranty". The price is less than a refurbished white Macbook.

I have offered to meet him at an Apple Store for a Genius appointment. If they agree to replace the logic board, then I will buy the unit and do a bill of sale. If he prefers to keep the unit, then I just loose an hour of time. My approach is to be very upfront with the seller about the video card repair extension and hope for a "win/win."

My only concern is possible liquid damage and voided repairs after the sale. Would the Genius do a spill check before agreeing to graphic board repairs? Any thoughts pro or con are greatly appreciated. Thank you

2. six.four macrumors 6502

yes. before they agree to any repairs, they will always check for liquid or physical damage.

If it is indeed the GPU - you should have 2 years warranty on the MBP (only for the GPU). Since the 2.2ghz MBP model was released mid 2007, the GPU will definitely be covered (if that is in fact the only issue). Do note that nothing else is covered past the 1 year mark except GPU failure.

I find the whole ordeal strange .. as he's willing to meet you at the apple store. He could just go in himself, get it fixed (if it was fixable) and sell it for significantly more.

3. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

No. In my experience anyway, they never even asked about water. I've had my video board replaced three times, they've done it same day each time.

I don't know if a santarosa or earlier MBP would have a hydroreactive sticker inside the case. I know they're in the plastic macbooks of like vintage, but I didn't see one on my santarosa when I took it apart to install a hdd.

4. six.four macrumors 6502

edit:... okay. it seems there are only water sensors in the new unibody MB/MBPs. So I guess drichards is right - no way to check for water damage for the "classic" MBPs

5. joeybagadonutz thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for your thoughts. I'm quite confident he does not understand the repair extension. I will be honest and upfront about the situation at the Apple store. However, I feel I may have an opportunity to make a deal in person that benefits us both.

There is a gamble regarding the new board as I will quickly cross the two year mark. However, with a new board, the LED longevity and my willingness to replace a hard drive myself, I think it may me a good option. It certainly is more machine at less price than a refurbished macbook (plus no tax).