Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

notapreppie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
I purchased my 2.2Ghz MBP a few months ago when all of the retailers were clearing out their inventories with $400+ discounts. Since then, I have upgraded the RAM to 4GB and upgraded the HDD to a WD3200BEVT.

After the RAM upgrade, everything was fine. It ran well for a good two months before I replaced the HDD.

After the HDD upgrade, I started getting some odd, intermittant behavior when waking from sleep. After waking from sleep, the authentication screen comes up. If I'm not quick enough, I get a spinning beach ball of death and can't authenticate. If I am quick enough, I can get back to what I was doing before each application, one by one, freezes up with spinning beach balls of death. The problem will also happen without sleep mode if I allow the system to sleep the drive and I walk away for a little while.

In any case, there is no kernel panic message. I can't login remotely (SSH). I've dug through the console logs but nothing stands out (being used to digging through FreeBSD logs, I would hope that I would recognize SOMETHING).

None of the following seem to have helped...
* reset the PRAM and SMC.
* disconnected all external devices (mouse, keyboard, iPhone, external display, Griffin Firewave, Ethernet and power) and tried a few (but not all) permutations of those.
* fresh install of Leopard (and all updates) and used it without additional software (iStat menu, Logitech Control Center, Growl, Adium, etc).

The following solves the problem...
* reinstall the OEM 120GB drive.

I connected the drive to my Wintel box and used WD's bootable floppy to update the firmware but reported that my drive has the latest version (11.01A11). The HDD was a bare/OEM purchase from Newegg. There are no jumpers on the jumper block.

Has anybody else seen this before? Anybody have any ideas or helpful hints?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
It sounds like the WD drive is bad; did you repair disk permissions and verify disk?

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
Yeah, the drive is probably faulty. WD's RMA process is really easy, so just send it in and get it replaced.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.