Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chihiro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 25, 2007
hi

can you tell me if there is a large difference in performance and speed between a 2.2ghz and a 2.4ghz one on a 15 inch macbook pro?

is it worth the extra money?

i m going to use mainly with after effects,final cut pro,photoshop.
i am not using any games.
i am going to buy it in like 3 weeks time and hopefully get Leopard as well.

can you please advice me which model is more suitable for me ?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Hello there! Considering your usage, I really think the 2.4GHz machine might be more worthwhile. The extra CPU speed can't hurt, but it's the extra VRAM on the GPU that'll really come in handy. Some extra hard drive space can't hurt either. :)

vicious7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2007
Jacked into the net...
I'm using the software you mentioned on a 2.2 MBP without much issue; however, I am waiting on the MP update so I won't be wanting for power in the near future. That being said, I agree with mad jew -- the extra bump in VRAM will be useful now and in the long run. FTR, my MBP has been upgraded with 4GB RAM, and 7K RPM internal and external HDs. Faster drives will definitely speed up your FCP workflow.

Good luck with what ever you decide.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Yeah, I generally don't recommend top of the line machines because the relative price increase is far greater than the boost in performance or even features. However, for video work you really need some serious hardware to be able to do anything properly. Of course as vicious7 said, you'd be fine with the regular 2.2GHz machine. I just think getting the 2.4GHz machine would pay off in this case. :)

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Either machine will work well for you chihiro, but if you have the extra money go for the 2.4GHz MacBook Pro w/ 4GB of RAM (buy it third party) and a 7200 rpm HDD. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.