Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2011
I have a Early 2011 MBP (spec in my sig) and I do a lot of Photoshop and occasionally run a W7 VM and was just curious how much more beneficial 16GB vs 8GB RAM would be?

My system runs fine atm with no issues, so wondering if the $300 is worth the upgrade right now, or wait till 8GB modules lower in cost. Advice?

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
I have a Early 2011 MBP (spec in my sig) and I do a lot of Photoshop and occasionally run a W7 VM and was just curious how much more beneficial 16GB vs 8GB RAM would be?

My system runs fine atm with no issues, so wondering if the $300 is worth the upgrade right now, or wait till 8GB modules lower in cost. Advice?

there is your answer,

RAM doesnt usually go up in price so maybe when it does need more RAM it will be less money

IllIllIll

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2011
If you are running fine with no issues, then why would you want to spend the extra $ to bump up to 16GB? It's not going to make your system significantly faster.

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
My Alu MB runs those applications fine on 4GB. 8GB should be more than enough unless you are running multiple VMs with Server OS.

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
If you are running fine with no issues, then why would you want to spend the extra $ to bump up to 16GB? It's not going to make your system significantly faster.

I guess that would be more relative, or at least in the eye of the beholder eh? Inductive reasoning, inductive reasoning...I'll agree, but in my experience and more than a handful its always good to have allot of RAM...actually its always good to have more RAM than you think you'll need when you start doing visual/audio type things. I mean my system runs fine for basic things with 6GB's of RAM but for other tasks like Handbrake, with Final Cut open while browsing lightly I would definitely feel comfortable with more ram, but maybe not need it.

IllIllIll

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2011
My response was not directed at you, so what your needs are are irrelevant in this discussion.

The OP mentioned that his system "RUNS FINE ATM WITH NO ISSUES", so why bother spending a fair amount of extra $ on something that would give him little to no benefit in performance?

I guess that would be more relative, or at least in the eye of the beholder eh? Inductive reasoning, inductive reasoning...I'll agree, but in my experience and more than a handful its always good to have allot of RAM...actually its always good to have more RAM than you think you'll need when you start doing visual/audio type things. I mean my system runs fine for basic things with 6GB's of RAM but for other tasks like Handbrake, with Final Cut open while browsing lightly I would definitely feel comfortable with more ram, but maybe not need it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.