MBP 2.4 15" - anyone getting a 'bump' on their trackpad?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mustgroove, Jul 29, 2007.

1. mustgroove macrumors regular

Just noticed yesterday that a raised bump is developing on my trackpad... I've got a 2.4ghz 15" MBP, only a couple of weeks old (4 or 5 I think)...

Not sure what's causing it, there's nothing particularly hot located directly beneath the trackpad is there?

Some pics (they're big so I didn't embed them, please click to open in a new browser tab/window):

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=68bdxlf
    http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=61m11jd
    http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=4pvan9l

You can see the bump towards the right-hand side of the trackpad...

2. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

*Checks 2.4 Ghz 15" MBP* nope, nothin' here. Weird... I'd take out the battery to see if there's anything in there causing the problem, if it's the battery you need to call apple or else. If nothing is in there, see if it continues, if so, call Apple.

3. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

No bump here either, although I always use a mouse so the trackpad is seldom used.

4. mustgroove thread starter macrumors regular

Just checked the battery, it's not deformed or out of shape or anything that could cause the bump, just looks totally normal...

Will keep an eye on it... I do use the touchpad a fair bit, but it stands to reason that if repeated use was going to deform the trackpad, it would deform downwards (i.e. a 'dip'), rather than upwards (i.e. a 'bump') as it has done in my case...

5. Smoothie macrumors 6502

I think the surface of the trackpad is held on by an adhesive. I received one MBP that had a corner of the trackpad lifting up. I pressed it back down, and it stuck there. Try pressing down where the bump is and see if it adheres. If it doesn't, I'd bring it in and have Apple fix it.

6. mustgroove thread starter macrumors regular

Tried pressing down on the bump quite hard, doesn't seem to do much at all... I think I'll take it to my local store & see what they have to say about it...

7. compuguy1088 macrumors 6502a

compuguy1088

I actually have a similar problem with the bottom right side of the trackpad sticking up...and from reading this, it sounds similar to what you had.

8. samyron macrumors newbie

I was wondering if you took your macbook pro to your apple store and what they said? I'm having the same issue with my macbook pro, except my 'bump' is on the right side of the trackpad.

9. NonGamerDude macrumors newbie

Trackpad "blister" or just a grease mark?

After my 15.4 MBP 2.4GHz 250HD arrived, I used it for 4+ hrs straight. After a couple hours, it sure seemed like it had developed a "blister" where the top surface was rising up.

But it's so subtle, I can't tell for sure if it isn't just a grease mark because of repeated use of one area (ca. 2 cm across). Turning it in the light, I am 60% sure it's raised, because of how the shadow moves around.

In any case, it doesn't affect performance/responsiveness, so I'm not bothered by it. I'll post an update if I can figure out for sure one way or the other.

On a related note, perhaps... Ouch, these things are hot. After 4 hrs. of use the left-hand rest area was uncomfortably hot, and the bottom of the machine seemed practically a fire risk (I had it on a pretty thick pillow).

Well, turns out my wife succumbed to the MBP siren call today, and soon we will have 2 nearly identical MBPs around to compare, so we'll know if one of them develops a real problem, I guess.

10. Joelzilla macrumors newbie

My mbp also has a bump top left just like mustgroove's pictures show!
    has anyone had this issue resolved?

its really irritating and i would like to get it fixed...its only four days old!

11. jus407 macrumors member

I am noticing a bump on my 2.4ghz penryn mbp too has anyone called applecare or been to the store to check into it yet?
    i just noticed mine its a fairly noticable bump and is annoying

12. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

Ya ive had bumps on all 3 penryn MBP's ive gone through, its prolly because of the multitouch.

13. jus407 macrumors member

then i wonder what kind of longer term effect this will have on the usability of the trackpad

14. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

Take it or them to an Apple store if you can and call Apple support if you can not get to a store. Today!!!

15. chris y. macrumors regular

16. Oldhamer macrumors newbie

Bump - No Bump

No bump. Looking good right now

17. RandiC macrumors member

Bump

You didn't by any chance make love to your macbook did you? It could be a baby mac in there.

18. jus407 macrumors member

lol.

19. Joelzilla macrumors newbie

Returned my Macbook Pro with bump and now have a new one.
    Took a few weeks but was worth it...

20. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

Well, my 2.2ghz macbook pro (SR) doesn't have the touch controls pad, but te trackpad it does have gets a lot of use, and no flaws at all. Not bumps. Flat as Kansas. And, it runs extremely cool. Barely warm in the upper left corner, actually coolish on the palmrest areas with regular use. It does warm up slightly in upper left corner when doing serious DVD ripping and other stuff at the same time, but overall, I'm pleasantly surprised. Maybe the penryns are just hotter than the older SR processors, or I got a well-cooled macbook pro.

21. herval macrumors newbie

I don't think that has anything to do with heat (as far as I know, the new model is cooler than the older one) - I'd guess it's either something related ot the new multitouch pad, or simply chabby materials... :apple:

22. askabob91 macrumors member

I just got a pretty noticeable bump on my 2.4ghz penryn Macbook as well. It's at the very very top slightly to the right, and it's pretty annoying. Also now that I look at it, the whole trackpad seems to sort of rise up on the right side. Will Apple fix it or do I have to live with it? Since I paid this much for it out of my own pocket (and being a student too) I'd rather it be close to perfect.