MBP 2.4 C2D + 8600m GT can't play back 1080p?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yanathin, Jun 20, 2010.

1. yanathin macrumors member

This seems very odd to me. I just bought this used MacBook Pro a few weeks ago. It has a broken screen - I bought it to hook it up to an external monitor. I just recently tried playing back a 1080p file (like a trailer from Apple) and it has an incredibly difficult time playing it same goes for 1080p mkv files. It starts out smooth, then the fps seems to cut in half, and finally it gets so choppy that it's completely unplayable. Is this normal for this kind of MacBook Pro? I feel like it should handle a task such as this... Is there something wrong with my graphics card? Does anybody out there have a similarly specced machine that is able to do this? Thanks!

2. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3Gs: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Nexus One Build/FRF50) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

1080p .mov files should be fine, but .mkv might be a bit more difficult. Did you do a clean install on the machine when you bought it, and how much ram do you have?

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

It should play fine as my little mini plays them fine. Download vlc and plex and try running them again.

Just a thought are the fans kicking in??

4. yanathin thread starter macrumors member

I used vlc for the mkv file and QuickTime for the apple trailer. I'm running the latest version of snow leopard and vlc, too. It shows that it has 2gb of ram. I also ran a clean install when i bought it... I barely have anything on this thing!

5. iphonematt Guest

How big is the file and what is the bitrate on it? If the hard drive (probably 5,400rpm?) can't keep up with the file, the frame rate and quality of playback will substantially decrease.

6. MIKE666 macrumors regular

i have the same specs as you, i can play 1080p mkvs fine.

i have used plex, vlc and boxee they can all run them perfectly.

sorry i cant help you with the problem just letting you know your computer should be able to handle it.

7. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Dying 8600m perhaps?
    Mine started to behave really slow just before it died, try a apple hardware test.