MBP 2.4 CPU Issues. Please Help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Heston, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Heston macrumors regular

Recently I've been noticing some issues with my MBP 2.4 (Leopard 10.5.2). The computer has been running quite hot recently and the fan has been going full tilt to compensate. I thought it would go away after awhile, since it's got to be a background program using the processor. All of the sudden I get this kernel panic and it asks me to reboot. Weird...I was just using iTunes and iChat.

So I started looking around. I downloaded Temperature Monitor and noticed that my processor is fluctuating between 71 and 98 degrees. I checked the Activity monitor to see what was causing this spike in CPU usage. Couldn't find anything, but the CPU usage is at roughly 100% and switches between cores.

I'm starting to get worried. All i did recently was install Office 2008. That could be it, but I don't find any 2008 processes. Worried that this might be a hardware problem, I restarted into boot camp to make sure that it's not a CPU issue. No problem. The CPU fan calms down and the CPU usage is down to 2%.

One other note is that, in the past, i've noticed that the computer jerks a fraction of a second when opening a grid stack while under "Better Power Savings." It doesn't do this when it's on "Better Performance." Makes sense. However, it doesn't matter right now whether I have it on either setting, because the stack comes up perfectly, indicating to me that there may be something wrong with power management.....

Any thoughts?

2. wk127001 macrumors member

You could have a runaway process thats a lower priority than whatever programs you are using so it runs in the background without you noticing, except for the heat. Might be a virus, bug, or something else, Macs are not immune. I'd just wipe your OS X partition and reinstall if what you say about it being fine in windows is true.

3. Heston thread starter macrumors regular

Yep, I'm in windows right now and no problem. Gosh, I knew repartitioning is what people might say. I have an external drive connected to an iMac, functioning as my Time Machine backup. I've never used it for actually restoring data as of yet, so I'm not sure how the whole wireless/restore might work based upon what I've been reading in forums.

Is there no way to determine what the process is?

4. wk127001 macrumors member

There probably is. I can't really help you without actually using the machine though. Some of the other members probably can. I'd see what other people say first.

5. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

Before you do anything open Activity Monitor (in your applications-utilities folder or just spotlight search it) and select "all processes". Then click on "CPU" and see which one is using the 100% and tell us. If it is a pointless program you can force quit it and that would be the end of that.

6. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

7. Heston thread starter macrumors regular

Found a process that's taking 100% of the CPU with 3 threads. It's called "PrintJobMgr." I can stop it, but it immediately comes back up.

I highly doubt exchanging it is necessary. :) The computer is 6 months old...

8. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

I suspected it could be that process! It sometimes bothers me too with 100% cpu usage, it's poor programing to blame.

Force Quit it, and make sure the printer applications are also quitted. Exchanging is certainly not necessary.

9. Heston thread starter macrumors regular

Problem solved. One of my network printers was in an endless loop, constantly trying to do a print job. Deleting the printer fixed the problem.

Thanks guys.

10. MacBookJoePro macrumors regular

Seems like a lot of people have this problem. My girlfriend had this problem too.

-JoE

11. thegrandmaster macrumors regular

thegrandmaster

Happened to me as well on my iMac, can't remember what I did to fix it, think I killed the Print Job Manager enough times and it finally died...