MBP 2.4 or 2.53?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cammunizm, Feb 15, 2009.

1. cammunizm macrumors newbie

Haho!

I am in the market for a new MBP and am lost on deciding if, for what I do, the 2.53ghz is worth the extra money.

Right now, I am looking at the following 15" display models

2.4ghz with 4GBram, 250GB 7200 hd
    2.53ghz with 4GB ram, 250GB 7200 hd

With my corporate discount, it gives me roughly (after taxes) a difference between the two of $246.10

What I do:

I do graphic design work; mainly in Illustrator and Photoshop. I can have up to a few hundred layers at a time.

If the 2.53 is not essential, then I am wanting to use the money saved as I need a new cable to connect the MBP to my 22" Dell, and also perhaps consider the apple care.

I've also read that I can get the 2.4ghz with 2GB of ram and upgrade it myself for about $100 cheaper. Is this true>

Thanks!

Cmzn

2. MidwestStuck macrumors member

If you're just going to stick with non-3D work, then the 2.4 will suffice. However, if you plan to do some 3D work or play games, you'll want the 2.5. Personally, I would go with the 2.5 just because it's only $246 more expensive than the 2.4. That's a pretty sweet deal.

3. P90Xfit macrumors regular

You should check out Zbrush, one of the most AMAZING software out there, easy to learn tough to master worth every hour! The reason I'm telling you this, is because this is one of if not the best 3D/2D modeling software, and 2.4Ghz runs it like a champ!

4. allanibanez macrumors regular

For the price difference i'd go for the 2.53

That little bit futureproofing on a laptop can only help, plus if you ever decide to resell you will recoup that little bit more. The performance bumps wouldn't be earth shattering, but you'd have performance in your back pocket should you ever need it.

5. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Wow. Either you get a really crappy discount on the 2.4 or a really big one on the 2.53 :p

You will only see a difference between the two if you do something heavy 3D, in which case the 2.53 will be a bit better.
    As for RAM, through Apple it costs 150$ and on NewEgg I saw some for about 60 or 70$, so you save 80 or 90$ there, plus you get to keep your 2 GB you got at first, so yeah, it is about 100$.
    Just some advice on Applecare; if you can, buy it from eBay! It's about half the price!

6. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

I'd go with the 2.53 for the extra video ram. I use photoshop a lot and have no problems with mine.

7. cammunizm thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks

Thank you all for responding.

The comment about the discount. Yes it is odd. It is 1$ cheaper than my educational discount on the 2.4ghz, but I save the most on the2.53ghz.

Thanks also for the heads up on the Apple Care on eBay. I had a older generation Powerbook G4 and aside from it heating up like the surface of the sun, worked great until the Apple Care expired. Still, turned it around in 2005 for about $700.

How hard is it to install new ram in the new macbook pro's? Anyone recommend a good youtube/eHow video?

8. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

If you have the right tools, incredibly easy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rZGs8mTFSQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piOXcfAK-Q8&feature=related

9. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

The 2.53 also has more video RAM, keep in mind. So you're getting a faster processor, larger hard drive, more RAM, and a slightly better video card.

10. finalcut macrumors 6502

yup, that's why I bought the 2.53GHz

11. jovanboi macrumors member

I concur!

12. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles