MBP 2.4 v 2.5

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Stella, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

I'm wondering about people's opinions:

I want to get a MBP, either the low end or mid range. I won't be doing anything GPU intensive, mainly programming.

Given the price difference is $500 between the two machines, I'm thinking paying the extra for GPU memory for the mid range is very expensive. The extra 100Mhz isn't going to make a lot of difference - 2.4 v 2.5Ghz.

The extra hard disc capacity is nice - and thats just $50 extra.

I'm hoping this machine will last at least 3 years.

So, I'm thinking of going with the low end and the 250Meg hard disc.

Thoughts?

Thanks

2. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Based on what you say your needs are, that's exactly what you should get. You don't need the faster one.

3. akadmon macrumors 68010

I concur. I also think that getting the 7200 rpm 200GB for $100 is definitely worth it. That's what I did.

4. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

For your daughter finally?

Want to adopt another child?

5. akadmon macrumors 68010

Yes, finally. She is very very (so soooo) happy :)

LOL -- no, I can't adopt any more kids. I'm gonna be a poor man for at least the next 6 years (my other daughter is 16).

6. redundantsilent macrumors newbie

2.4 v 2.5

I'm also getting a macbook pro. How big of a difference is the .1 Ghz and the extra 256 MB of GDDR3 memory? I am going to be editing some video on it, but I dont think that these little upgrades will make that big of a difference for $500.

7. chrisbeebops macrumors regular

The 2.5GHz Penryn processor has 6MB L2 Cache, but the 2.4GHz only has 3MB L2 Cache. I'm not sure what that actually translates to in real-world performance.

Either way, if you are just doing programming, you aren't going to notice much of a difference. An imperceptible difference in compile times, if even that.