MBP 2.4 vs 2.6 ( what should i get)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 09vdubgti, May 18, 2009.

  1. 09vdubgti macrumors newbie

    May 18, 2009
    Hello everyone, i have made up my mind and im switching over from pc to mac:D. Alright so deff going with pro model over regular macbook. I am just having a diificult time tin deciding which model will best suit me. I am going to use this for school(MSU!!!!) Well my main use of course will be for school work like word, making presentations etc. I am also a huge music fan and going to be using traktor pro and logic on this, also pic editing( simple things), and regular everday things like web surfing, watching movies, aim/msn. Is that 500 dollar price difference really worth it. I really do need your opinions. thanks:)
  2. JCastro macrumors 6502a

    Feb 12, 2008
    The difference will probably be unnoticeable with the types of programs that you will be running. Having said that, I think you should get the best MBP that you can afford. One day down the road when the 2.4 becomes a little too slow the 2.6 (or faster) will still have some life left in it. but for several years to come the 2.4 will run well for you. Good luck with the Mac and with school!
  3. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

    Jan 27, 2007
    When it comes to computers, the more you spend now, the longer you can wait till you have to spend again.
  4. 09vdubgti thread starter macrumors newbie

    May 18, 2009
    hmm ok so for now the 2.4 would be good but the 2.6 might be better for the long run. Well i guess your right the more i spend now the less ill spend later so ill go with the 2.6 thanks guys.
  5. rpang macrumors member

    Apr 20, 2009
    So Cal...
    200 Mhz speed difference wont be that noticeable. Sure, it make take an extra 10 seconds to rip a CD... etc.. I would spend the $500 price difference on a larger & faster hard drive, more ram, and an external HD for time machine, or maybe even Applecare.
  6. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

    Demosthenes X

    Oct 21, 2008
    Or, the more you spend now, the longer you have to wait before you can spend again. Spending less more frequently will result in the same (total) amount of money buying more computing power and lasting longer.
  7. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030


    Jun 15, 2005
    In case you didn't notice the rumors, I would wait a month if you can. Bumps could be round the corner.
  8. 09vdubgti thread starter macrumors newbie

    May 18, 2009
    Sorry im not sure on what your talking about. but if you mean new macbook pro release is to come out soon then good hopefully it does. i wasnt planning on purchasing till july anyway.
  9. neiltc13 macrumors 68040


    May 27, 2006
    There is no way you need a MacBook Pro. Get a 2.0GHz MacBook and spend some of the money you save on a nice big monitor for use when you're at home.
  10. clyde2801 macrumors 601


    Mar 6, 2008
    In the land of no hills and red dirt.
  11. devilmac macrumors newbie

    May 20, 2009
    I dont think unless you are doing some heavy compiling you will see the difference. I have the 2.4 and my business partner has the 2.6 and i cant tell any difference in developing applications nor web development. i say buy the 2.4 and upgrade the ram to 4 gigs that should be pretty stout. the 500 in savings you might need for gas soon LOL
  12. entergreenland macrumors newbie

    May 10, 2009
    I think what he means this is that there will probably be speed bumps, however small they might be, at WWDC at the beginning of June.
  13. pablol macrumors member

    Jun 23, 2003
    Well OP said he wants to use Traktor and Logic. In this case I'd definitely recommend the MBP. Bigger screen will be nice when playing out with Trakor since you can see more of your playlist and track collection (can't use a monitor when at a DJ gig). And the extra horsepower in the MBP and better graphics will definitely help with Trakor's CPU-hungry FX/Key Lock and allow him to run more plugs and software instruments in Logic. Plus, FW audio interfaces are preferable for multi-channel audio I/O, so again MBP is the way to go.
  14. 09vdubgti thread starter macrumors newbie

    May 18, 2009
    Yea thanks man, one of the big reasons in why i didnt want a macbook was because its simply too small. And yea thanks for pointing out on how much space these programs take and mbp is multi channel which is essential for music mixing. btw i also see that ur running on 2.4 hows that working for you? and for all the ppl talking about monitor i already have a 40'' samsung hd lcd.
  15. neiltc13 macrumors 68040


    May 27, 2006
    The GPU will make no difference whatsoever to the performance of Logic or Traktor. The CPU is exactly the same as the one which is in the regular MacBook and for these applications you will see no performance difference whatsoever in applications which don't use the GPU.

    As for the bigger screen, just remember that it's only 100 pixels larger vertically. I took this screenshot in iTunes to show how little that is:


    I can't argue against Firewire (quite why Apple removed it from MacBook is a mystery) but again it all depends on whether the other equipment owned uses that connection.
  16. 09vdubgti thread starter macrumors newbie

    May 18, 2009
    well i also do have a mixer, controller, fx kit, midi keyboard

Share This Page