MBP 2.4 vs MBP 2.5? or wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hoangcong, Jun 10, 2008.

1. hoangcong macrumors member

hi everybody,

I am into digital photography, using mostly photoshop and occasionally final cut pro.
    I also like to create website so I would look for something that can run photoshop and dreamweaver at the same time smoothly.
    I would also like something that can do the above things + running another OS (windows xp) or burning a dvd.

The price gap is huge between the base 2.4 model and the 2.5.
    I was just wondering which one would be more fit for me?

I was also wondering whether it'd be good waiting for the new mbp and get the new mbp base model then since my budget is tight (i think my patience can be witheld till late july =\ )

Thanks for your help!

2. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

probably won't see an update till august. 2.5 makes no difference over 2.4.

3. illidian macrumors 6502

The differences between the 2.4 MB and the 2.5 MBP include:

• Integrated (Very Porr) Graphics vs. Dedicated
    • Plastic vs. Aluminum Casing
    • 13.3" Glossy Screen vs. 15" Glossy OR Matte Screen
    • LCD Screen, no backlighting vs. LED Screen with Backlighting
    • No Multi-Touch vs. Having Multi-Touch

The importance is roughly in that order as well. If you aren't running 3D graphics, that even becomes a moot point as well.

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

read the op. hes deciding between 2.4 MBP or a 2.5 MBP

op, disregard the previous post as he was comparing a macbook to a mbp

as far as differences, save the money and get the 2.4....you wont notice a difference and if there is one, it is slight

5. hoangcong thread starter macrumors member

Sorry i think you misread lol
    I was either looking for the mb pro 2.4 or the mb pro 2.5 of course i wouldnt get an integrated graphics :D

6. hoangcong thread starter macrumors member

I think i will get 2.4 with 4gb ram upgrade but im still pondering if i should wait for the new mbp.. ive been readin horror stories of people on this forums that have been waiting for months :D

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

for the needs you listed though, a mb would be more than enough. just get a secondary monitor and youd save a bundle

just another thought though

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

dont upgrade ram through apple

get the ram off newegg and save a LOT (like 80 bucks for 2 x 2gig sticks or 40 bucks for a 2gig stick to give 3 gigs total)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...2013340551+1327924738&name=For+Apple+Notebook

9. hoangcong thread starter macrumors member

10. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

Its pretty easy to do it yourself. Go on youtube. They have a bunch of step by step tutorial. And no you won't lose any warranty.

11. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

no you dont lose waranty as it is user replaceable. only thing that i might let apple upgrade on a mbp is the hd as thats not user replaceable (it is on mb though fyi)

12. hoangcong thread starter macrumors member

lol, you are really pushing me toward the mbp dukebound85, but mbt silver allu is so sexy :D

13. illidian macrumors 6502

Whoops, sorry I misread.

In that case, there are virtually no differences that can be accounted for.

14. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

I'm sorry, but IMO a macbook would not be nearly enough for him. Do you really think that a macbook has enough GPU power to run photoshop, and dreamweaver at the same time. It's barely enough for photoshop alone, and it's painfully slow just running photoshop.

Don

15. irontony macrumors member

I own the new MacBook Pro 2.4 and added 4gb of 3rd party ram

First of all, and this is just my opinion but I've used both the 2.4 and the 2.5 and can honestly say the 2.5 is much more responsive for everything. Dont know if its because of the extra level 2 cache?

I honestly would of got the 2.5 model if I knew better.

I added 3rd party 4gb ram and it was easy to install and was much cheaper than apple. 2gb is usable for daily things and photoshop for *average users* So there's no rush for 4gb of ram straight away.

Save and just get the 2.5

My 2c

cheers

16. oxfordguy macrumors 6502a

I went for the 2.5 MBP in the end, not because its 0.1Ghz faster than the 2.4, but because is have 6Mb of L2 cache instead of the the 3Gb of L2 cache in the 2.4 MBP, this can actually make quite a big difference to real-world speeds.
    With the 2.5 MBP you also get 512Mb instead of 256Mg VRAM for graphics, though I don't think this makes much difference in practice. I'm still happy I went for the 2.5 over the 2.4, despite the extra cost. I think it would be hard to justify the 2.6 MBP model, though, as you already get the increased L2 cache in the 2.5

17. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

Cache adds 0 to 10% depending on the app. Not worth the cost.

Read that given buss limitations on the graphics card, it cannot effectively use the extra VRAM. not worth the cost.

Spend $50 for the HDD upgrade from 160gb to 250gb though.

Get a really nice computer for $2,050, save $450.

18. illidian macrumors 6502

Ummm, you do know that having a dedicated graphics card does nothing for 2D graphics?

A MacBook 2.4 can run Photoshop and Dreamweaver just as well as any other 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo machine.

19. hoangcong thread starter macrumors member

I was looking to play some games from time to times like the sims2 or age of empire 3 something similar to that but not too computer hungry.
    Would the 2d graphics handle that on XP os while running Mac os?

20. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

I have a month old 2.4 MB with 4GB of ram. It is amazing and the screen
    is very nice.

Imo 75% of MBP users didn't need them really. You just get into the
    tech spec buyer syndrome.

21. illidian macrumors 6502

You sound confused. I was replying only to Dmac77's post, which is full of inaccurate information.

I don't know the exact capabilities of the x3100, but The Sims 2 an old game (released in 2004). I'm going to guess, based on no factual evidence, that a MacBook would run The Sims 2 because of its age and doesn't appear to be very graphics-intense to me. Age of Empires 3 is newer (2005) and while the screen shots don't look like it is too intense, it may be with all the units and such on screen at once. I'd guess that it would run well enough for you to play, but you may have to turn down all the graphics and still experience a bit of lag. Hopefully someone else can come in and verify more for you.

22. oxfordguy macrumors 6502a

Depends what you're using the MBP for...

Or the 200Gb 7200rpm drive, if you want better performance...

23. hoangcong thread starter macrumors member

thank you all for the useful feedbacks!
    This should be my first mac so I don't want to mess up that is why i am a bit confused... (the one i used in uni for media production amazed me that is why i am hooked on mac now)
    Hopefully I'll decided soon :p

24. Wotan31 macrumors 6502

Where do you get these "makes no difference" assumptions from? They're certainly not based in reality, that's for sure.

The difference is not just 0.1 Ghz. The difference is in the CPU cache. 3 Mb on the 2.4 vs. 6 MB on the 2.5.

That's a *huge* difference, particularly when it comes to tasks like photo editing. It will be immediately noticeable with the very image you edit in Photoshop. Anyone who says otherwise has never actually compared the two (i.e. they're full of BS) and has no grasp on the relationship between hardware and performance.

Don't believe me? Go google up some benchmarks - doesn't even have to be laptop benchmarks, PC benchmarks will prove the point. Now find the numbers for a 3 MB CPU and compare them to a 6 MB CPU of similar clock speed. The difference is not slight.

Personally, I wouldn't even consider the 2.4. It's a waste of money when for $500 more, you can double your CPU cache (on top of the other upgraded bits). If you're set on the 2.4, you might as well save a few bucks and drop down to a regular Macbook 2.4 - it's the exact same CPU!! IMO, the only reason to get the MBP over the Macbook is for the 6 MB CPU (and discreet gfx, if you need that).

25. Westsider 4 Mac macrumors regular

Westsider 4 Mac

Westsider Rule#1

Always get the most computing power you can afford. If that = the 2.6, then buy it. :apple::D