MBP 2.4 vs. MBP 2.53

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ladytonya, Oct 21, 2008.

1. ladytonya macrumors 6502a

Okay, I have finally narrowed my selection down to these two versions. I am relatively computer savy when it comes to using one, but I know next to nothing about hardware specifications and what exactly they mean. I was originally between a high-end MB and these two MBPs, but I decided that if I am going to spend this much money on a laptop, I liked the fact that the MBP has the express card slot, FireWire, and the two NVIDIA graphics processors. My main computer use at present is basically internet, word processing, presentations and some very basic web design, some light gaming, and an extensive music collection that I would like to put to hard drive. I would upgrade to 4 GB RAM if I get the 2.4 and might upgrade the HD, too. So, here are my main questions:

1. How much difference is there between 2.4 and 2.53 processing speeds? What about the 3 MB vs. 6 MB L2 cache?
    2. How much difference is there between 256 and 512 GDDR3 graphics memory? What exactly does this do?
    3. How much difference is there between 5400 and 7200 rmp hard drive? Would 7200 really be that much faster doing everyday tasks such as accessing music, videos, and saved documents?

With my education discount, I would get the 2.4 for $2,034 after RAM upgrade while I would just get the 2.53 as built for $2,299. If I save the extra money I might be able to get a 500 GB Time Capsule or some other fun new toy. I am torn. It seems like such a small price difference, and even after typing all this I still keep going back to the high-end MB because of how much money it would save me. Ugh! It would be so much cheaper! I don't currently own anything that has FireWire and the express card slot is just in case I ever need it. I'm still torn, I don't spend this much money often by any means and I want to get the most for my money. Any advice, answers, wanna tell me to make a decision and shut up already? Anyone want to just slap me upside the head at this point? Any input would be GREATLY appreciated!

2. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

If your light gaming ever begins to include fairly new games, particularly first person shooters like Call of Duty 4 or something you will definitely want to have the MBP over the MB for its video card.

Between the two... honestly for everyday use you probably won't notice a difference. It won't be until you begin to make the computer work hard that the little differences begin to matter. So if you're playing a game that's graphics-heavy, the 2.53 would do considerably better since it has twice as much memory on the video card. The same applies to various other tasks, but since the only one you mentioned that might tax the computer was gaming we'll leave it at that. Other than that, however, the 2.4ghz MBP would be fine.

Hope that helped :eek:

3. dingus macrumors member

More importantly than the express card thing and the graphics card whatever, the MBP also has a far superior screen. Frankly, the ones found in the new MacBooks are turd sandwiches. Considering the price difference you mentioned I'd suggest just going for the quicker 2.53GHz MBP with a 7200rpm HDD. In the short term you'll want to punch yourself in the ovaries for spending that much, but ultimately you'll be happy having a super rad machine that'll stand the test of time and possibly hold a better resell value. Does that make sense? It doesn't matter. I'm proud of you.

Love,
    Grandpa

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

you wont notice the difference between 2.4 and 2.53 GHz unless you do a full load on both cores i.e. exporting video and count the extra seconds gained in the higher clock speed. same goes for the graphics card unless you do high end graphics stuff like CAD or play Crysis or something you wont notice the difference.

the cache im not sure about but have a read up on what it does and see if you will benefit from the extra 3 megs.

the 7200rpm hard drive will definitely speeds things up a bit like boot times and data transfers and access times.

5. ladytonya thread starter macrumors 6502a

Higher cock speeds? Wow, if I would have know a computer would do that..... Never mind, I don't want to get in trouble. :p

Thanks for that link, interesting reading. I'll have to think about it some more. I'm just getting into playing a few things and the video has been slow on my old PC, but that's an old Intel processor, way before dual core, with a 1 as the first number and a fairly low number after the dot (can't remember the exact specs) also only 512 MB RAM. I may end up going with the 250 GB 7200 RPM drive to save a few bucks, not sure if the extra 70 GB is worth almost $100 when I can bet a 500 GB Time Capsule for $279, plus I have a desktop PC at home with a 500 GB hard drive that barely has anything on it other than about 100 GB of music and a few games.

Somebody made a comment about the MacBook's screen. How is it bad? Why do you not like it? Other than the difference in resolution, I thought both had LCD screen that would be similar in quality, unless it is such a lower resolution that is why it is awful.

Anyway, I probably have at least another week or two to make a decision because we're not sure when my husband's grant will come in. He got a grant through his grad school to get a new computer and he doesn't really need one, so that's how I'm finally getting a Mac! Thanks for all the comments, and keep em coming! The more info I have, the easier it will be to make an informed decision! Of course it will be MUCH easier to make a decision if Best Buy would ever put the AluMacs on display so I can see them upclose and in person. They won't put them out until they have them all in stock, and the only one they have in stock as of the other night is the middle MacBook and low-end MBP. Heck, if they would put those out, I could at least play with the trackpad! Ugh!

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

the MacBook's screen is ok ,its the same as the old MacBook. it just has a bad viewing angle especially vertically and seems to be washed out. the MacBook Pro has a much better screen one of the best in its class. im not too fussed as i have a good Desktop screen and i will actually buy a MacBook sooner or later.

7. ladytonya thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have an awesome monitor at home, but I'll probably rarely use it there unless I just get so fed up with Vista that I never want to turn that PC on again. This monitor is beautiful, but with the MacBook I'll be somewhere besides the computer room, that's the whole point of getting a MacBook! I just keep going back and forth. Saving the money would be nice, but I just don't even know if I could get used to a 13" screen. That just sounds so tiny even though I know it's not. I dunno, I'm still reading various sites and opinions and looking. It will be really helpful to me when Best Buy puts out the displays, of course once I see the MBP it'll probably be decided regardless of the extra money!

8. dingus macrumors member

I had the early 2008 MacBook for a while and the poor screen eventually lead me to sell it only a few months later. From what I've read the new MacBooks continue to use the same panels, which is unfortunate.

If you plan on always sitting directly in front of your laptop, such as at a desk with the screen angled just right, then yeah, the MacBook would be tolerable. Personally I find that I'm often using mine a little more leisurely, placing it on a coffee table while nerding out on the couch, or watching a movie in bed. That's when the MacBook's crap viewing angles and color distortions become aggravating. If you can't compare the MB vs. MBP in person, check out the review by Gizmodo to see what I mean.

http://gizmodo.com/5063492/macbook-and-macbook-pro-dual-review

For what it's worth, I also found the 13" screen to be a bit small at times and look forward to jumping up to the larger MBP.

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

10. ladytonya thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wow, that gizmodo review really shows the difference between the screens. That one angle looks horrible! I don't want to be relegated to sitting at a table and finding the perfect viewing angle to be able to do anything with my MB, if that were the case I would just get a desktop!

The more I think about it, the more I think I will go for the 2.4 MBP upgraded to 4GB RAM. Can you do that in the Apple Store or do you have to order online to get that? When I finally get my money, I'm thinking of driving to the closest store, but it's like 2 hours away and if I can't upgrade to 4 GB RAM there I wouldn't be very happy. Anyway, that gizmodo review was a great read, thanks!

11. frogger2020 macrumors regular

If you do a custom build (e.g. 4 GB RAM on the 2.4 system), I don't believe you can do that at the store. Instead of spending an extra $200 for the RAM, it might be better to get the 2.5 MBP for an additional $500 and get the 4 GB RAM, bigger HDD, double the video memory and slightly faster CPU.

12. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

i would get the 2.53 if you are planning to keep it for more than 2 years. get apple care it is worth it.