Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tianh2002

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
Hello everyone

I just bought the MBP 2.4 Ghz 2010 and I start using the smc fan control app. I would like to know what is the best fan speed to use on this MBP for long-term use. I usually watch flash video like hulu or youtube on this macbook. Do you think 4000 rpm is too fast? will my macbook fan last long time under this speed?

Thanks

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Why don't you use the built in fan control settings, meaning letting Mac OS X decide, when to rev up the fans?

4000RPM is an okay speed for prolonged time, as the fan(s) spin constantly anyway, though normally with 2000RPM.

Maximus434

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2006
Don't mess with the fan speeds, there's no need. The macbook pro will look after it.

I have the same model and even under full CPU and GPU load the fans never even reached the 6000rpm max and are able to keep the temp steady at under 90c.

RT2020

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2010
Don't mess with the fan speeds, there's no need. The macbook pro will look after it.

I have the same model and even under full CPU and GPU load the fans never even reached the 6000rpm max and are able to keep the temp steady at under 90c.

LOL....steady at under 90c. Any other brand of computer would keep temps the 60s The problem is not preventing your computer from catching on fire...that wont happen.

The problem is: Prolonged heat = eventual hardware failure!

Wonder why there are so many dead logicboards? Apple does a very poor job at designing cooling into their hardware. Read this:

http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/172791,macbook-pro-helps-core-i7-hit-100-degrees.aspx

I run mine at 3000 always. I put on 4000 if im doing intensive work. Keeps things nice and cool in the 50s

melterx12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2010
well according to anandtech the 13" MBP with the core 2 duo runs much cooler than the i7 MBPs

Maximus434

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2006
LOL....steady at under 90c. Any other brand of computer would keep temps the 60s The problem is not preventing your computer from catching on fire...that wont happen.

The problem is: Prolonged heat = eventual hardware failure!

Wonder why there are so many dead logicboards? Apple does a very poor job at designing cooling into their hardware. Read this:

http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/172791,macbook-pro-helps-core-i7-hit-100-degrees.aspx

I run mine at 3000 always. I put on 4000 if im doing intensive work. Keeps things nice and cool in the 50s

:rolleyes:

Mobile CPUs are designed for high temps and having them at 80-90c the odd time when they are on full load WILL NOT shorted their lifespan. These are not desktop chips.

OP don't mind this guy, let the OS look after fan speeds. Laptops are by nature designed for high heat. Don't worry and enjoy your MBP!

mulo

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2010
Behind you
:rolleyes:

Mobile CPUs are designed for high temps and having them at 80-90c the odd time when they are on full load WILL NOT shorted their lifespan. These are not desktop chips.

OP don't mind this guy, let the OS look after fan speeds. Laptops are by nature designed for high heat. Don't worry and enjoy your MBP!

a simplified version is

did it shut down?

yes - take it to apple

no - do nothing

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Why don't you use the built in fan control settings, meaning letting Mac OS X decide, when to rev up the fans?

4000RPM is an okay speed for prolonged time, as the fan(s) spin constantly anyway, though normally with 2000RPM.

I found it odd that the MacBook Pro's with the Intel/NVIDIA GPU combo have their base fan speed at 1500. Using Fan Control, the speed was set as 1500 for the default.

Alvi

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2008
Mars

Let it work with it's own settings, having it too fast when it's not needed will break the fans earlier too, if it dies naturally without any interference of programs at least apple will cover you with it's warranty

tianh2002

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
Thank you for all of your reply

I try to let the OS decide the fan speed. However, my fan speed is always at 2000 rpm regardless of how much cpu usage. I try to watch flash video playback and the MBP is getting too hot on my lap. My temp is reaching 70 degree Celcius all the time because the fan speed is stuck at 2000 rpm. That's why I use the SMC fan control to modify my fan speed. If I set the fan speed at 4000 rpm. Then I can watch flash video comfortably on my lap. With 4000 rpm, my MBP temp is always at 53-58 degree Celcius.

ljonesj

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Kingsport TN
wow mine is weird then as i removed smc fan control and restarted and the fan speed was still set at 3500rpm what is the normal for the mid 2010 13in macbook pros then i may have left one of smc configuration files in the os somewere then

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.