MBP 2.53 or MBP 2.4 + 500GB

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Rewes, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Rewes macrumors member

Ok, time for final decision. I can't make up my mind which one of these two should I get.

A) MBP 2.53, 4gb, 512vram, 320gb@7200rpm
    or
    B) MBP 2.4, 4gb, 256vram, 500gb@7200rpm

I would upgrade the option B myself. After the upgrade the option B would still be around 215€ ($300) cheaper than the option A. If I would go with the option B would I be loosing out in performance? I think the processors are pretty similar, what makes me think is the extra vram in the option A. Is that usable for anything else than gaming? I have a PS3 for gaming so that wouldn't be an issue. I'm gonna keep this machine for at least 3 years so I don't want to buy anyting that I would later on regret.

Thank you!:D

EDIT: I just found this thread. Explaines the vram difference very well: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=581139

2. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

The difference in processor speed is negligible at best... I'd personally pocket the extra cash and get the 2.4.

3. Rewes thread starter macrumors member

Ok, thanks! That's what I think I will do then. I guess the 256mb difference in vram is't going to affect me that much, as I'm not going to play any games on it.

4. svndmvn Guest

May I suggest upgrading the HD yourself? You'd have a spare HD to use in a case, and still probably spend less.

5. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

Yeah, you will be fine with the 2.4 and IMO the bigger hdd is more important.

ChrisN

6. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Definately B)

you wont notice the speed difference and the bigger hard drive is so much more useful.

7. Rewes thread starter macrumors member

Thank you all so much! I will order the option B, my first Intel Mac, right after the Philnote.:D