MBP 2.55 screen hinges cracked! help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Electro Funk, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Electro Funk macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

so i tried to make a post that was long and detailed but it did not take for some reason so i will try to make this one short and to the point.

bought a new MBP 2.5 (about 4 months ago) right before the 2.66 with the price drop was released.

had various issues and had to swap it out 3 times which my new local store had no problem doing. so i finally got a machine with no defects and working perfectly. was very happy.

the other day i had it sitting on the coffee table on with the screen open, i picked it up to move it a few inches and heard a loud CRACK. now my screen goes back further than it should and it slightly tilted to the left. the gap between screen and body is slightly larger on the right side than the left.

i had planned on purchasing apple care towards years end as i have done with the last 6 machines i have owned in the past. i am going to take it into the genius bar for replacement or repair but am afraid they are going to say i broke it somehow... i treat this thing like a baby and there is no reason the hinges should have cracked from just picking it up and moving it while open. it is still working, but i can not deal with the thought that the hinges are now weakened and are definitely going to break eventually (sooner than later now that this has happened) not to mention the gaps between screen and body and being a bit crooked. also, if i open it past 90 degrees, it falls all the way back to the point where it finally catches, which is a lot further than it used to retract. the hinges are definitely more loose and not as tight as they should be. i have never had more issues with a model in my life until i bought this unibody.

so what are your thoughts? what i am really worried about is them saying i broke it somehow and not honoring the repair or replacement (which is not the case) or when i do purchase applecare towards the end of the year that this will be noted and if not fixed properly or replaced then they will not honor the repair if it actually completely breaks. as i think it will eventually if i do not have something done about it ASAP. (if it is noted on the account when i bring it in today or tomorrow) i have never picked up one of my macs with screen opened to have the hinges snap (being only a few months old)

so opinions welcomed please. i want to get this taken care of as soon as possible.

2. SpyderFCS macrumors member

I think you'll be fine and they won't even question it. I haven't had the same problem but I've never been questioned at an Apple Store about any repair.

If it would make you feel better just go in and say that you noticed the screen is tilting back much further than when you first got it and you want them to check it out just in case and don't mention the cracking sound you heard.

But again, I don't think they will care either way. The hinge shouldn't break under normal use so unless you really were tweaking it then I don't see how they could blame you at all.

Apple Care is a bit of an honor system in my opinion, in that they can only know what you tell them.

3. Electro Funk thread starter macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

Well, i dont have applecare yet as i am still under my one year warranty, but the fact that i have to have a repair done already (4 months into owning it) just irks me.

i always get apple care when the year is almost up...

4. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

They'll look at it and most likely fix it without question. If it looks like you dropped it, then you may have some explaining to do, but it sounds like you take good care of it. It's under warranty so just take it in. I bet they'll fix it no problem.

5. Electro Funk thread starter macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

they will definitely fix it... it is in prime condition other than the screen hinges. i guess i am just irritated that i had to switch this thing out so many times due to defects, now this. i have never had so many problems with any other machine.

6. Electro Funk thread starter macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

ummm... yeah...

genius bar refused to fix... said it was cosmetic... (slightly crooked screen and bends back further than it did before) but they would repair it for a fee. my MBP is 6 months old.

they never cease to amaze me... said if i closed the lid to move it 2 inches to the right on my desk it would never have happened!

7. glavoie84 macrumors regular

Try to contact Apple Care on the phone, they may be better at helping you!