MBP 2.6 Merom vs 2.4 Penryn screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by daneoni, Jun 2, 2008.

1. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

So i'm looking to get a refurb MBP to replace the BlackBook i just sold. I saw a 2.6 merom version and a 2.4 penryn version. To be honest i'd like the option of installing Tiger which is why i'm looking at the 2.6 (still not a fan of Leopard) but i don't mind the 2.4 model either with multitouch and all

So to decide i've left it to which has the better screen of the two. Do the newer penryns have better screens than the merom models?

2. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

The current 15" MBPs (and 17" BTO) have an LED backlight which provides brighter and more even illumination. I just bought one and it's very nice. This LED display became standard in June 2007 when the MBPs went to the Santa Rosa platform.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No, they are the same panels if you are looking at the 15"

4. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

So they're both equally good. Maybe its all in my head but i head one revision had a better screen than the predecessor?

5. KruseF1 macrumors newbie

Out of curiosity, how much did you just sell your blackbook for, if you don't mind? Sorry for being off-topic.

Kruse

6. dblissmn macrumors regular

I'd go with the penryn because of the multi-touch which is very nice and also because it is so very cool running. The merom/Santa Rosa shouldn't be too bad in this regard but I've been very happy with the penryn.

However, I agree that the Tiger issue is worth considering. Even with the improvements of 10.5.3, Leopard still needs major work -- graphics drivers are still too slow, some compatibility issues remain, and some UI elements need to be revisited. If you use Adobe CS products, beware. Leopard simply won't open Photoshop 7 at all, causes serious instability in InDesign CS3, and has other issues with other CS apps. Then you have Leopard's UI weirdness; ranging from the jangly looking dock and the poor differentiation among user folder icons to the idiotic darkening of the button and title bars of the window you're working in while leaving the non-selected windows nice and light and legible. In Safari, the worst-affected application because the tabs are almost unreadable, you do at least have the workaround in Safari 3.1 of installing SafariStand, which simulates Tiger behavior on title bar and tab lightness as well as providing other customizing features. The fan/list/grid option on Dock folders is nice though, and for some weird reason I like the translucent menu bar too although I admit it limits my choice of desktop backgrounds. And I am looking forward to using Time Machine.

7. Jurwin macrumors regular

Jurwin

Get the penryn, if you can, get the 2.5ghz penryn with 6mb of L2 cache. I have that one. Like everyone said it runs so cool. Mine has never gotten above 55*C and that's running a ton of apps, chatting online, itunes, movies etc. Oh and not all 17" have LED. Only the high res version comes with LED.

8. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

Yeah the MBPs is a tempting option, i cant even get the 2.6GHz anymore someone snapped it up. Im even reconsidering now if a MBP is worth it considering i have an iMac 2.4GHz. It might be a waste to splurge for a MBP i.e. having two premium computers.

I can't believe i'm saying this but i'm now considering...the MBA

£700