Mbp 2.66 Heat problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Babba, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Babba macrumors member

Hi there,

Just bought a mbp 2.66. Love it so far. Using it in energy saving mode right now, for 1-2 hours. There is a heat coming under keyboard :p I can feel it on my hands without touching it. Is this normal? I don't want to get my hands sweat..

2. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

download istat pro from iSlayer and see what the temp read out is.

3. Babba thread starter macrumors member

HD Mac : 32
    CPU A : 45
    GPU : 42
    Gpu heatsink : 40

by the way, where is cpu B :p ?

are these normal ? Why is the heat coming off from the keyboard? \

4. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

those stats look good. it could be the backlight on the keyboard. is it set high?

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The keyboard is right on top of the GPU, CPU, etc. It will get hot and then the heat will transfer to the keyboard.

6. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

yes but i checked my keyboard and i am not having that problem at about the same temp. then i turned on the backlight and it got a little bit warm but not enough to make my hands sweaty.

7. jeremybuff macrumors regular

My iStat temperatures are about the same, fans running at 2000RPM. According to smcFanControl, I am running at 41C.

My keyboard never feels warm unless I turn my hand over so the back of my hand is touching the keyboard. Even then I can only detect a very minute amount of heat. Even when I am playing a game, like.. uh MiniOne Racing, the heat from my keyboard does not increase despite smc going from 41C to 50-55C.

Only near the top left of the unit, near the power adapter, do I feel much heat, and mainly when I am compressing video. Even photoshop does not increase my temps much at all.

EDIT: The LED backlight has zero effect in terms of heat for me.

8. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

oh great i wonder if i have a problem.:p no its not really that much heat. very little if any but i do feel a difference.

9. jeremybuff macrumors regular

haha yeah I figured. It's probably not even coming from the LED lights, they do not burn warm anyway.

10. Markov macrumors 6502

Markov

As everyone knows, heat rises. So as long as there are tiny gaps between keys and everything below, heat will come through. I can't imagine your hand is sweaty, it's probably just oily more than anything.