MBP 2.6GHz (2008 - 4,1) NOT BOOTING

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by javapop, Aug 29, 2012.

1. javapop macrumors newbie

javapop

This is my Macbook Pro, 2.6 GHz model, dated 2008. Running Snow Leopard. No hardware or software changes within last couple of months. Yesterday morning while on the road, closed the lid, came back a little later, the computer was unresponsive.

1st f all, it is not under applecare anymore, it's been over a year since it was. Hoping to find a solution apart from that.

Followed instructions for resetting SMC (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964)
    when the power button is depressed the white front led goes on briefly and the discs sound like they're about to spin up, then it just turns off. If I hold down the power button, the font white light comes on, there is a sound of the HD spinning, then the white light flashes quickly like a strobe, then gets solid one final time and the unit is powerless again.

I have tried the original RAM, and also using about 6 different RAM DIMMs one at a time to see if there was an issue with RAM, no change at all. I've tried a separate charger 85W, no change.

When the power cord is plugged in, the indicator is solid green, the battery has an indicator (Model A1189) that doesn't show any light level at all.

I removed the HD, used an external housing and ran a Disk Utility on a Mac Mini, the drive is fine, I changed startup disk, and it booted to the drive with no problems.

Concerned that it may be the logic board.

Does anyone have any ideas on confirming this?

Thanks!

2. m85476585 macrumors 65816

3. javapop thread starter macrumors newbie

javapop

I tried plugging in ext. monitor... no change whatsoever, same symptoms. I bought the unit used also, so that wouldn't be much help anyway.

4. quasinormal macrumors 6502a