MBP 2.8: How hot is safe?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DaNkKnD, Jun 18, 2009.

1. DaNkKnD macrumors newbie

Hello, I know there are a lot of threads concerning temperatures but I haven't seen one for the new 2.8 MBP...

I just received my new MBP 2.8 yesterday and I noticed it got violently hot while performing a few tasks... It was so hot I could barely keep my finder on the top left area around where the power adapter is. Granted I was downloading, playing a 1080p movie, encoding 800 photos, installing and updating OSX all at the same time but is that a sustainable heat?

I'll post some figures when I get home from work from istats.

Thanks!:

2. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

My 15" gets about that hot while playing Crysis Wars in Windows, and that's about equal to everything that you seem to be doing on yours at the moment.

3. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

violently hot..is bad

you need to figure out a way to cool it, either bumping up your fans before you put a immense load on it or consider a cooling pad.

maybe you can use istat menus for me and check your thermal sensors and report them back.

good luck

4. DaNkKnD thread starter macrumors newbie

Where is the more intense heat located on your MBP? Mines at the top left... thats where I'm feeling the most intense (burning) heat.

5. earthdan macrumors member

interested to see the actual temps!

I am about to pull the trigger on the new 2.8 but just getting the courage up to drop >2K on a computer. Would be great to know how heat and battery life interact on this machine.

Are there good programs for undervolting/cooling macs? I've heard the "coolbook" program is an option but haven't heard about any results on the new 2.8 mbp.

cheers,
    Dan

6. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

snow leopard will yeild much lower temp's , at least it is on my 2.4,

odd enough after the 10.5.7 update i run 46c now from 37 from before....

but snow leopard runs 37-39 idle now.

7. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

Yes

8. ssdar macrumors member

9. DaNkKnD thread starter macrumors newbie

The battery life is amazing... the heat not so much :p

When I get home I'll post some stats with istats pro... Is that the best program to use?

10. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

I just installed SMC Fan control. Upped fans to 4000rpm and its brought my heat readings from..

CPU: 64c > 52c
    GPU Diode: 74C > 61C
    :D

11. thebrain74 macrumors regular

I don't know if anyone has had both to compare, but is the 2.66 markedly cooler than the 2.8 because it has the lower wattage rating?
    thanks

12. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

What's with everyone posting threads about temps?

Sounds like normal to me. Aluminium transfers heat very well, so I'm not surprised it feels like burning in the area above GPU (thats hotter than CPU).

Get iStat Pro and report us the temps if you are really worried though. Anything up to 90C CPU is normal when loaded as is 40-60 when idle and connected to power.

13. b348xyx macrumors member

look at my sig... i have overlocked my to 3.15ghz... my laptop get F ucking hot but...... why you so botherd they are made to deal with it....

so stop making threads about temps....

the CPU threshold is like 115c so don't WORRY

14. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

LOL I didn't know my MBP was also designed to be a skillet

15. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

that was my question too, I made a post on the topic 2.66 versus 2.8 heat, because I've read about this as well.

I've heard it often enough now that if I was going to order on today, I'd get the 2.6 with 256 vid ram... that's got to be enough power for 90% of all users out there, if that's true the less 'hot' option is better for you and the machine.

16. DaNkKnD thread starter macrumors newbie

I believe I could actually put a pot on it and warm up some soup... clearly not recommended :rolleyes:

17. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

obviously you havent been broken down in the woods with only your macbook pro and a few batteries to keep you alive.....

well...of course the old macbook pro's....you know the ones where you can remove the battery....

*hides under desk*

18. earthdan macrumors member

frag-master thats a wicked name haha.

The reason I am wondering about the heat is because if the laptop heats up, the fans kick in to it cool down, and therefore use more battery life and become louder too. (I know the noise of these things is subjective).

the actual heat doesn't matter to me, as I know they are built to get hot.

So thats kinda why I am interested in both battery life and how the heat of the laptop comes into play.

cheers,
    Dan