MBP 2.8 i7 shows as i5 with CPUZ

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by greeno, Nov 16, 2010.

1. greeno macrumors newbie

I'm running xp pro via virtualbox on a 17" mbp 2.8Ghz i7. I started looking for something with similar specs in a windows laptop and can't find anything so I started wondering about the processor. I ran cpuz and on the CPU tab:

Name: Intel Core i5
    Package: Socket 1156 LGA
    Specification: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU M 640@2.8GHz

Core Speed: 2693.8 MHZ

First, is the discrepancy because I'm in virtualbox?

Second, is the processor really a 2.8GHz or is that the "Turbo" speed?

10 years ago I used to love Macs but I've grown to hate on Apple. The Mac Pro is a little overrated, but I'm starting to like this macbook pro. 2.8GHz i7, 1920x1200, 8Gigs of RAM and the 1TB drive from WD fits. I'm thinking I should buy one and just run boot camp and default it to load W7.

A mac version of cpuz would obviously be really helpful, but I searched and can't find anything, and I don't really trust the "about this mac" window.

2. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

You don't trust the the about this Mac window? I certainly can't be the only be the only person WTFing. Do you think Apple is lying to you?

3. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

I wouldn't trust CPUZ versus the apple reading

4. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

Uh what? no the processor is really 2.8ghz. Don't trust the about this mac? Wow... Apple wouldn't but a blatant lie out like that. You wont find it because its very new, and no one else uses it yet. They can't lie about something like this. The about this mac is ten times more trust worthy then cpuz. The program might not have been updated for new cpus? Or the virtual box is the cause.

5. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

CPUZ is confused, possibly because of virtualbox. The 640M is an i7 branded CPU. Try running it natively instead of in a virtual machine.

6. Ferry888 macrumors member

You have been cheated! Bring it back! Ask for a refund!

7. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

My i7 2.66 reports an i5 as well in bootcamp.

8. HussainAL, Nov 17, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2010

HussainAL macrumors member

HI,

Before visiting apple, try this out. There is a tool for MAC just like CPU-Z it's called CPU-X, I don't know if I'm allowed to post a link or not, but here it is to help us all,
    http://www.kexts.com/view/399-cpu-x.html

It shows the correct CPU type and Speed for my Macbook Pro, and I have posted a screen shot, you can compare it to my Signature.

Try it out and let us know.

Attached Files:

9. greeno thread starter macrumors newbie

without seeing anything other than 2.8 in the window I couldn't tell what exactly that was referring to since I've seen some people talk in terms of the "turbo" speed of a processor. Apple has some of the best lawyers in the universe, I doubted they'd just outright lie to me, but it seemed confusing. I'm a PC guy now, and I like to see behind the wizard's magic curtain.

I have gained a lot of perspective though trying to find a similarly spec'd windows laptop. It's almost impossible to find a 2.8 i7 1920x1200 for less than $3k. I just have to figure out what I'm going to do about the whole right-click trackpad thing, because holding command each time sucks.

10. HussainAL, Nov 17, 2010

haven't you activate clicking and dragging in Trackpad preferences, In System Preferences go to Trackpad and tick clicking, dragging, and drag lock, now you can right click by pressing two fingers on the trackpad, very easy, and for me it is easier then Windows.

11. greeno thread starter macrumors newbie

12. HussainAL macrumors member

Yes it works, and I have even used it in bootcamp.

13. greeno thread starter macrumors newbie

do you have a solution to fn+f12 too? because I f12 more than I turn the volume up...

14. HussainAL macrumors member

Go to System Preferences, Keyboard and check Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as a standard function keys, now you can use the keys same as windows. You cannot just activate a single key, either the whole keys or not.

15. greeno thread starter macrumors newbie

sweet. thanks for the tips. this last couple days with this thing has been gradually becoming a pretty good experience with this thing. I may come back to apple. For laptop hardware at least ;)

16. HussainAL macrumors member

Have you checked this CPU-Z like app for mac, tell us if your MBP shows as i7 or i5.

17. greeno thread starter macrumors newbie

I searched for half an hour last night for that. I thought it was bizarre how there was no mac version. Yeah, everything shows up right on the mac side. It's just the virtualbox messing with the settings.

18. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Weird it says i have a Wolfdale processor instead of Penryn

Attached Files:

19. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

as you all can see, my i7 is way off :)

When did they release this "Unknown" haha. Also, no way its 775. Probably hasnt been updated ever.

Attached Files:

20. HussainAL, Nov 17, 2010

Maybe this version is released before i5 and i7 is out, that's why it will not a full feature of new CPUs.

21. deedoh macrumors newbie

old thread revived....because netkas clearly says over on his blog ....

"only for core2duo"

so naturally you'll get errors running it against i3-5-7.

but for those of us still w/ core2duo machines,
    it's a nice useful reminder of using cpu-z on PC

"we speak all binaries .... Lin-Win-Mac" :cool:

22. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

it could be due to the fact that Virtualbox assigned partial threads to the VM. Virtualbox is not super reliable piece of software. I would trust the OS X System Profiler on this one :D