MBP 2.8Ghz ($2700) or 2.53Ghz ($2100)?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hobes270, Oct 26, 2008.

1. hobes270 macrumors regular

Ok, so I ordered a MBP 2.8Ghz from Apple. I called and got them to set up a return for me. They did it no problem.

On ebay I found a MBP 2.53 for $2100. Should I return the MBP 2.8 I have and get the 2.53 on ebay? I use it to run all the Adobe CS3 Creative Suit programs, and I use it to do Final Cut studio 2 on occasion, not often though. Is the 2.8 going to give me that much more speed and power to make up for the $600? I really need help because I have no idea what to do! :confused: Will the 2.8 benefit me that much more for what I use it for?

i dont really game on it. I just dont know if what Ill be using it for, if the 2.8 will benifit me enough to justify $500 to $600. There are even some on their for $2250, would it even be worth the extra $450?

2. joystik macrumors member

if you picked it up from ebay, would you get apple warranty? no?

3. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

actually, yes he would. the warranty stays with the computer

4. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I would discourage buying something that expensive from eBay, I don't know why really, just instinct I guess. I would stick with buying from Apple just to ensure that you are taking the safest route. And I don't really think that the increase in .27 GHz is really worth $300, especially when you aren't entirely sure if you will need that extra speed. Just my thoughts.

5. hobes270 thread starter macrumors regular

Yea i would get the 1 year warranty. The computer is new and sealed, never opened.

Is it worth the extra money though. How much faster is the 2.8, will I notice a difference? I know I will encoding but what about photoshop?

6. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

To me it seems to be a bit early for a new (legit?) MBP to be on ebay.

7. enochpeng macrumors regular

Well, you can buy it on ebay since it saves.

The only problem is that you won't be able to get it returned. And if you have any problem with your machine, you have to send it for repair and wait for a while (where if you buy from Apple or some resellers, you will be able to have a new one sent out from Apple ones the broken one is in the courier's hand) well that's for the first couple weeks.

8. hobes270 thread starter macrumors regular

I have bought many macbooks off of ebay. You still get warranty and you can just take it to a loacal apple store to get repaired if its under warranty.

I just dont know whether to get the 2.53 or 2.8 for what i am using it for? Is it worth like a $450 dollar difference? :confused:

9. apolloa macrumors 604

apolloa

I'll ignore the buying of ebay or not advice as you have plenty of advice on it. And say that the 2.8 is your better bet. The Mac from what I've read is an awesome video editing machine and if you use big programmes like Final Cut and Adobe then you WILL notice a difference with the faster processor. That's what I've always read, with video editing the more powerful the better so I think the 2.8 is the best choice.

10. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

The ebay is a no issue as you happy to buy it from there.

Warranty is also a no issue.

The only advice I can give you is futureproofing, You can upgrade the Ram, and HD in the future, but you cannot upgrade the CPU. When there is a speed bump next year, I can see the base models being around 2.8.

One the other hand, I believe the 2.53 will run cooler, I think the 2.53 is a 25W CPU while the 2.8 is 35W. So that is something else to consider.

Guess depends if you have the spare $$$, you cannot go wrong with either one.