MBP 2.8GHZ or I7

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by solarisc, Jul 31, 2010.

1. solarisc macrumors member

ok, i am deciding whether to get 2.8Ghz or I7. The 2.8Ghz is now on sale, and it is about 550 cheaper and it will be purchased by the dept for me. The I7 is a bit harder since is past 2k limit. So my question is, between 2.8Hz and I7, how much is the difference?

I don't do a lot of things that need that much power but i just the bleeding edge :) I wonder if anyone can help me the bench mark between 2.8Ghz and I7.

Thank you

Solaris

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

i7 is about 39% faster according to GeekBench benchmarks. Why don't you get the i5 instead? It's cheaper, especially if you get a refurb

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I agree with Hellhammer, just get the 2.4GHz or 2.53GHz i5 model.

4. mkelly2115 macrumors member

Agree with all the above.. Get the i5 then down the road get a ssd you'll be very fast! :apple:

5. Meever macrumors 6502a

Yes i5 is the way to go. But if you really want to burn cash get the high res upgrade or buy a aftermarket SSD.

6. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Another win for the i5 MBP, that's what I have and I love it. Besides OP, you're not paying for it so it's not about having the bleeding edge for your money, because someone else is paying for it. Since your job (I guess, since you never stated what the department is) is paying for it, why milk them just so you can have the highest spec?