MBP 2.8GHz w/ HDD or 2.66GHz w/ SSD?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dk152, Jun 29, 2009.

1. dk152 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am looking to buy MPB with a discrete graphics card. I am an IT professional and never had a laptop w/ SSD. If you were to buy a 15" MPB, which one would you buy? I am essentially asking faster CPU vs. SSD option. The price difference is negligible.

1. 2.8 Ghz, 4GB RAM, HDD 500GB w/ 7200 rpm - $2.349
    2. 2.66 Ghz, 4GB RAM, SSD 128 GB - $2,299

Best,

don

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

SSD, unless you render animation in which a processor will be a better improvement.
    The better thing to do is go with the HDD and faster CPU and upgrade to a SSD later down the road. You can't (easily) upgrade a processor.

3. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

4. whitespaces macrumors newbie

I'm pondering exactly the same - I had my heart set on MBP 15" 2.8ghz with 7200rpm 500gb HDD but now just thinking I should maybe drop to the 2.66 model (with lower graphic card memory) and get the SSD. What I would really like to know is what is the approx difference in boot times between the 2 - in seconds? Does anyone know this?

Also - how easy would it be to update the HDD to an SSD later down the line? I've fit processors and memory on PC before but never HDD - and NEVER anything on laptop.

By the way I'll be using the laptop for:
    iPhone development
    running windows & developing in Windows (.net etc.)
    general IT use (internet/office)
    gaming
    music production

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Agreed, SSD tech is only going to get cheaper and cheaper. If you really wanted one right now, buy third party...