MBP: 2 GB vs. 4 GB RAM?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jackc, Nov 20, 2007.

1. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

How big a difference is there between 2 and 4 GB RAM in the MBP?

(Besides the fact that 4-2=2)

2. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

I'm curious about this too. When I get my MBP I think I'll just see how it goes first-- I've never used more than 1 GB in a computer, I could find 2 GB to be perfectly satisfactory.

3. macjonny1 macrumors 6502a

macjonny1

I would just wait too. I actually just ordered and received my 4mb upgrade from a recent buy.com deal. Got crucial ram 4gb for about $110. Definitely don't order the upgrade from apple...The prices are only going to come down.

4. OdduWon macrumors 6502a

OdduWon

with a two gig model @ the :apple:store, you can only open all of ilife,PP,Word, the internet and photoshop,before the computer freezes. With a 4 gig model, you can do all this at a steady pace i believe. The real bottle neck I noticed while watching the activity monitor during my test was the drive speed. A 7200 rpm hard drive would help lots for app start up times.

5. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

Why would you want that many apps to be open at the same time.

6. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Office apps are still PPC so I hope once Office 08 drops there'll be less of a hangup.

7. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

What? The computer freezes?!??!?! :eek:

Nah - just some beach balls or gets really sluggish while it starting paging to disk. And the faster disk will be noticeable when you do run out of RAM.

For me, having a browser open with iPhoto and iWeb brings my PB to a snails pace.

8. Jblack4083 macrumors regular

RAM is only important if you use it all. To give you an idea, I have a 2Gb MBP and I don't even use NEAR all of my 2GB's of RAM while running: Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, Firefox, Mail, iChat, iTunes, and Word. Once you begin to use it all you will notice a considerable lag. So you will see the difference once you have LOADS of things open at the same time or are doign something HUGE.

9. OdduWon macrumors 6502a

OdduWon

Not that I WANT to use all of them at once, I simply needed to push it to the limit to define it.

Oh yeah, forgot about that. Rosetta is using processor muscle not Ram.
    NAh, i doesn't "freeze", But i hangs for like a minute. My partners PB also snails along when I have Safari open and am putting together 24"x36" PS projects. When i Get my MBP I will spring for the 7200 RPM HD, Ram can wait till i "need" it.

10. TSE macrumors 68030

Actually, Rosetta isn't a processor hog, it is a memory hog. Looking at activity monitor running EverQuest Mac on an iMac G5 with 1.5 GBs of memory it uses about 440.1 MBs - 700 MBs of memory and about 70% of the CPU, on my MacBook Santa Rosa with 2 GBs of memory it uses about 700 MBs - 1200 MBs of memory and about 65% of the CPU, so yes, once you take in account that C2D processors are far advanced over G5s, Rosetta takes processor muscle, but it also takes a ******** of memory. EverQuest Mac is not universal but runs great on my MacBook.

11. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Photoshop itself can take advantage of 3 Gb of RAM, it runs its own caching. So depending on the size of your projects, you can get noticeable speed up from >2 Gb RAM even with only Photoshop running.

12. nikhsub1 macrumors 68010

nikhsub1

With RAM being so cheap right now (no guarantee it will continue to fall in price either) there is no reason NOT to get 4GB IMO... I mean, you can get 4GB of quality RAM for like $100 delivered. Seems to be a no brainer to me. Just get 2 of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820141297

*Edit* and it even looks like it uses Micron chips FTW.

13. thewallbanger macrumors newbie

It's not often that you'd use all of the above apps at the same time. But you'd definitely notice a difference while emulating Windows and running a couple of OS X apps simultaneously.

14. kaltsasa macrumors 6502a

I'm a RAM hog, RAM RAM RAM. I use multiple apps at the same time upto, and including, VMWare Fusion so I can really hammer ram usage. 2GB should be fine for your average user, if you are doing video or photography 3-4GB isn't unreasonable anymore. Personally I consider 2GB to be the minimum RAM needed on a "modern" a.k.a. new computer.

15. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

Just put 4G in got them for 79 bucks the macbook runs amazing on 4Gs......glad i went that way :)

16. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

The more ram the better, if you don't need it now chances are you will in future just load up now an forget about it.