Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BugsBunny

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
my MBP is almost exactly two months old now, and my iStat widget is telling me I've gone through 7 cycles. I guess that means I'm cycling it a little less than once a week...I keep it plugged in while using it at my desk, but take it around the house sometimes (once per week, I suppose)...is that alright for decent battery life?

And on the other hand, once I go to school in three weeks, I'll probably be cycling it almost daily M-F as I take it to class, and then leaving it plugged in all weekend...will that be alright for decent battery life?

BugsBunny

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
but isn't there something to the fact that not cycling it properly/leaving it plugged in kills the cycles? that's more what i was alluding to...

noodle654

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2005
Never Ender
WHen you store your battery for a long time, they say to leave the battery half charged. I think you are supposed to do a full battery drainage every month (empty your battery completely).

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
hell i plug it in when i'm at my desk and dont when i'm not. i dont shallow charge it ever. ive been through 123 cycles since buying it in september.

giganten

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2006
my MBP is almost exactly two months old now, and my iStat widget is telling me I've gone through 7 cycles. I guess that means I'm cycling it a little less than once a week...I keep it plugged in while using it at my desk, but take it around the house sometimes (once per week, I suppose)...is that alright for decent battery life?

And on the other hand, once I go to school in three weeks, I'll probably be cycling it almost daily M-F as I take it to class, and then leaving it plugged in all weekend...will that be alright for decent battery life?

Mine is almost 2 months to I think and I have 6 cycles.

amusiccale

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
3 months, 12 cycles, 100% health (5512 mAh)

When it comes time to return to university, the cycles may increase. Full battery discharge each month seems like a good plan for desk-tethered people like myself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.