MBP 2007/2008 boot up problem- will they still honour the free replacement?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DaniGirl100, Dec 26, 2009.

1. DaniGirl100 macrumors newbie

I remember reading about Mac acknowledging that there had been some issues with MBPs with them refusing to boot up and it seizing on a black screen. The info for this was published some 6 months back. Are the Genius bars / Apple still offering this or will they charge me when Itake it in this week? Thanks!

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

You're probably talking about how some MacBook Pros have graphics cards made by nVidia that were faulty. If this is the case, yes Apple will still take care of it for free. However, it does have to meet their specifications. The only way you'll know for sure is if the machine is tested.

To have it tested, you'll need to take it to your local Apple Store. Or, if there isn't an Apple Store near you, your nearest Apple Authorized Service Provider. They need to run a test on the computer to determine if the graphics card is the problem.

Hope this helps! :)

3. DaniGirl100 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's the one. I'm pretty sure that's the one but if my motherboard is fried how much is it likely to cost?

4. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

If the problem is NOT the graphics card... unfortunately, the repair could be very expensive. Like... new computer expensive (~$1200+). Make sure that it's the graphics card, and if it's not, double check to see if maybe you purchased AppleCare (the extended warranty).

5. DaniGirl100 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've heard that people have been told it's the motherboard when it's quite blatantly this graphics card issue so I'm a bit worried about it. No Applecare I'm afraid by the time I could afford it I wasn't eligble anymore which sucks. I do have a Macbook though (which does have Applecare!) but my dad is taking it to Spain for a month so I need my Mbp to be operational again. Fingers crossed it will be covered!

6. DaniGirl100 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok I've just got home and picked up my poor MBP which I haven't touched in ...months and it won't switch on. I've tried plugging it in, taking the battery out etc and it won't even boot. I know the battery was dead as a dodo (full charge lasting 30 mins) will it just need a bit of charging and come back to life?

This happened the last time I fiddled around it with and it took a while to come back to life... mind you even the screen switched on one of the times!!!

7. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

A 2007/2008 machine might still be on applecare if you took it out. You should check. If your machine is on applecare it will be repaired for free regardless of what the fault might be (unless you dropped it, got liquid on it).

8. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Hopefully it came back to life? Sometimes it may need some charging to kick on.

9. DaniGirl100 thread starter macrumors newbie

I charged it a bit and the screen came on! Then it went off again. Sounds like I need this graphics card looked at and a new battery!