MBP 2007 - is this a good deal

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by comatory, Oct 27, 2012.

1. comatory macrumors 6502a

comatory

Hello,
    I am looking at getting used Macbook Pro. I don't really need portable computer that much but I do need it ocassionaly for gigs - like every 2 months.
    I will also take a laptop with me on occassion to do some light video editing, I used to own 2010 13" MBP and I was able to do HD video editing on those C2D processors.

I got offer for $520, it's a 15" MBP from 2007 with 2 gigs of RAM and 160GB drive. Battery is dead and the condition is OK, it's a little beaten but nothing too much, display looks fine.

I was thinking maybe putting 64-90GB SSD in there and max out the RAM to 6 gigs in order to run Mountain Lion nicely.

I honestly don't want to spend a lot of money on new portable as I won't be using it that much, my old 13" MBP was just fine for the tasks I need. I do however realize that the computer is old and it would need new battery, more RAM (which looks expensive) and SSD. This would probably set me to another 300 bucks.

Do you think I can get better deal on newer computer? I've seen some unibody 2009 13" MBPs for $600 (w/2 gig RAM and OK battery), I was thinking I'd have more use for bigger screen on the other hand.

I'm willing to spend $900 on 15 incher, do you think it's a reasonable opinion? I'd like to keep the costs down as much as I can.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Is this the Santa Rosa? Was the GPU stuck under that known issue where Apple is willing to fix them out of warranty? That would be something to check. If you say you can do what you need to do on it then why not? How much are you willing to spend though? Is it only around $500?

3. comatory thread starter macrumors 6502a

comatory

its the one with 8600M GT chip. that makes me a bit worried. I like the price but I dont like investing into additional RAM and battery, at least.

4. grrrz macrumors member

what's the processor speed?
    check this site to get an idea.
    http://www.mac2sell.net/
    If the battery is dead it's probably too expensive. I think people generally tend to really exagerate the price of second hand macs.
    Keep in mind you'll probably have about 300$ more to spend if you want more ram, an ssd and a new battery (and you should avoid lion or mountain lion if you intend to keep ram usage to minimum or don't want to add more ram).
    The 600$ macbook pro is a better deal if you don't have to buy a new battery (it'll end up costing at least the same anyway).
    For video work, even light, ram upgrade could be necessary (I'm not sure if you're doing video gigs or if you're a musician)

5. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

6. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

For $500 I'd be looking for a unibody alu MacBook 13". It's not worth the risk on the 8600GT MBP machines.

7. comatory, Oct 27, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2012

comatory thread starter macrumors 6502a

comatory

I decided I really want 15" with 1440x900 screen. Sometimes my Modul8 interface would be too cramped on 1280x800, it's good for work, but bigger would be better. I don't mind lugging 15 incher with me, I have backpack.

So I narrowed it down to 2008 Aluminium 15" MBP or 2009 unibody 15" MBP. 2010-2011 models are probably out of my range.
    I'd love one of those early 2008 aluminium 15 inchers, we had one at work at it still works fine till today, very durable.

I'll try to avoid 13" machines, see tons of white macbooks for really cheap but I need backlit keyboard (gigs are in dark, it is very handy).

I saw an offering on early 08 models, the seller has put new battery in it and everything works. Only there is a 7mm long area where the backlightning is brighter. It's for $720. Should I avoid it? Can it mean bad GPU? So far no one has bid on the item so if the auction goes without a bid, I'd try to offer $500.

I think these old MBPs are way overpriced but the price is the same everywhere. I think it's reasonable to give $500 for working machine with good battery,drive etc.

8. pavvento macrumors 6502

I just came across this post and may be able to help. I've got an 07 MBP with upgraded 4GB of RAM and 330GB 7200RPM HD. if you're interested let me know!