Resolved MBP 2008 Dead HDD, no restore disks

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NArca9, Feb 12, 2012.

1. NArca9, Feb 12, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2012

NArca9 macrumors newbie

So I am the only guy with any IT knowledge in circle of friends and it is all Windows based. That being said, I'm trying to help out a buddy of mine with his MBP 2008. The HDD is definitely dead, and after removing the drive from the MBP and attempting data recovery I can confirm that. My question to all of you is, if I install a new HDD, how can I restore OSX? He has no restore disks.

He might be out of luck, just figured I see if anyone here knew of a solution.

Thanks.

2. simsaladimbamba

Either buy the Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Upgrade DVD from Apple Online Store for 29 USD or contact Apple about getting Replacement Disks for that model (2008 had two models, one Aluminium MBP in early 2008, and the Unibody MBP in late 2008). That should cost between 15 to 30 USD, but maybe they send it to you for free (mention the HDD failure).

3. NArca9 thread starter macrumors newbie

The OS X 10.6 DVD supports clean installs?

4. simsaladimbamba

Yep.

To create a Clean Install (formerly known as Erase & Install) of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard (the 29 USD Upgrade DVD is a fully working retail version of Mac OS X and does not need a prior installation of Mac OS X on the Mac), follow one of the following guides:

5. NArca9 thread starter macrumors newbie