MBP 2008, dead logic board? :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by incognitone, Sep 27, 2015.

1. incognitone macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I have been using my macbook pro 2008 (pre-unibody) as a backup for my other macs, but since yesterday I haven't been able to boot this beauty. Last time I worked with it (2 weeks ago), I was watching some DVD's, youtube etc. and had the impression that it was getting really hot...

When I tried to boot it, there was no startup chime, no DVD spinning, no nothing, just a HD drive that was spinning and after 2 seconds it would shut down.

So then, after I did some research, I put the logic board in the oven...
    When I boot it now, the HD keeps spinning, but still no chime or other booting sounds...

What is there to do? :(
    Definately dead or can I try something else?

thanks for all the help guys & gals,

incognitone

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

The 2008 has a very well document and widely known problem with the nVidia 8600GT. It has likely kicked the bucket, like many others.

Apple had extended the warranty on those graphics cards because of this. Unfortunately for you, that extended warranty program ended on dec 7th, 2012.

You need a new logicboard. Seeing the age of the computer, I'm not exactly sure it's an economically smart thing to do due to costs.

3. incognitone thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, ok thanks for the reply.
    I was hoping to use this MBP 'till the end of times, not really but it really was used very little and still lkks brand new...
    I hope to get my documents of the HD then...

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

The hard drive is likely fine. Simply pull it out and stick it in an enclosure.

5. incognitone thread starter macrumors newbie