MBP (2008) slow to wake fully from sleep

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by potlatch, Oct 16, 2011.

1. potlatch macrumors member

Recently, I've noticed that my MBP (non-unibody) is struggling to wake up from sleep every other time.

I just hear the hard drive going for ages, as if loading stuff up, and in the meantime, it's virtually impossible to do anything until it's finished.

What do you think the situation is?

The only recent changes are that I installed Daylite CRM package recently, but I can't imagine what problem this would be when it's not even running. I think it seems worse when I have a few larger programs open (e.g. Photoshop, InDesign).

Some people say this dip in speed waking up is a faulty hard drive.

Thoughts?

2. simsaladimbamba

It can be a faulty HDD, but waking from sleep does not really require the HDD, as only the contents of the RAM are hold during sleep, thus the awakening should be fast.

Do you have a backup of your HDD's content? Do you also have a Mac OS X clone on an external HDD to boot from?

3. potlatch thread starter macrumors member

I've backed up using Time Machine (onto an external 3.5" WD hard drive). I've never cloned anything and am not sure why. You're not sure it's a HDD problem? I did recently repair some bad sectors, a problem which occurred a year ago, too.

4. potlatch thread starter macrumors member

5. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

What does it do when you open the lid, and for how long?

Mine has a problem where it takes 10-45 seconds for the screen to turn on, but I can control the backlit keyboard. 2011 17" though.