MBP 2009 10.5.8 won't start up

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xrcyst, Jul 17, 2011.

1. xrcyst macrumors newbie

Jul 17, 2011
    So recently my MBP started acting up. I was playing a game (league of legends) when it resulted in an error. I logged out of the client and continued about my business. I planned on making a ringtone in GarageBand but when i went to create a new "loop" or "podcast" no matter what the file was named or the location i saved it to i received an error message stating "such a file does not exist." I then tried to use an .m4a on my desktop by double clicking on it resulting in itunes opening, but then stating there was an error in playing the file.

So thinking the LoL client was messing with things I chose to restart my computer. This is where my current problem lies. When the Apple and wheel appear as it normally does to start up it takes up to 3 minutes or so for my screen to go black, the cd drive to rev and my MBP to restart again. I did a bit of searching and used command+S to check for errors, which after typing in 'fsck -fy' into the prompt it always results in the following error after attempting to repair and rechecking of the volume

**The volume Macintosh HD was repaired successfully.
    Invalid content in Journal
    disk0s2: I/O error

After repeated attempts i have yet to get my MBP up and running.

Any and all help would be appreciated. Sorry for the long post, but i figured the more info the better.
  2. WickedPuddin macrumors member

Jun 15, 2011
    Kind of confused. Does the computer start up into the desktop screen and restart its self?

I also play league of legends on my MBP and haven't had any serious issues with it
  3. xrcyst thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 17, 2011
    No, it never even gets to the login screen. It remains on the gray start screen with the apple for a few minutes and clicks off and attempts to restart again, indefinitely.

I'm also not 100% sure if league of legends or the garageband/itunes problems and the start up issue are connected. I just recounted the steps that led me to my current place.
  4. WickedPuddin macrumors member

Jun 15, 2011
    Try to boots from the install dvd and repair your hard drive again. That seems like the best bet... If that fails, you may need to either reinstall OSX on your hard drive. But before doing so, try the option "Archive and install." If this works, you'll be able to keep all your files when you install. If you can't, just do a fresh install. Finally, if the fresh install didn't solve the issue, it's likely that your hard drive has failed. You may want to go to apple to have it checked out.

PS. Don't restall you os unless you really need to. You don't want to erase all you files for no reason.
  5. xrcyst thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 17, 2011
    well it appears that my hard drive has ****** the bed. opening in safe mode or attempting to repair using disk utility is useless.

I have since brought it to a certified apple store.