Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twjames

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2014
I am currently in the process of revamping my Mid-2009 Macbook Pro 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 8GB RAM, 240GB Crucial M500 SSD, A new battery, and replacing the SuperDrive with a Seagate Momentus XT 750GB using a hard drive caddy.

From doing some research I am to understand that my connection for the Optical drive as well as the HD slot is SATA II rather than SATAIII. If I put a 6GB/s drive (SeagateXT) into this connection will I experience any problems or just a slow down of speed? Will I be able to reach 3GB/s in my optical drive, or would it slow down to a negotiated speed of 1.5GB/s? Would there be any difference in speed if I just transferred my 5400RPM 500GB drive in this slot?

I notice my stock 500GB HD in the HD bay has a 3GB/s connection but runs at a negotiated speed of 1.5GB/s. Will my M500 SSD be able to reach 3GB/s in the main HD slot?

Any other things I should be aware of during this process, Enabling TRIM? Reformatting my computer? Fresh install of Mavericks? Or any complications I may experience along the way? I just want to be able to make sure that I get my moneys worth and maintain the boost my computer needs to be able to support FCPX video editing and overall stability.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
If you aren't replacing the drive that the primary install is on you shouldn't have to reinstall. And using a Sata II connection won't cause any problems. The speed will just be throttled down to Sata II speeds. As far as the negotiating transfer speeds I can't help you there.

twjames

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2014
Thanks for the reply. I will be replacing the main HD with the Crucial SSD, so I guess a fresh install will be in order.

I just did a speed check of my stock 5400RPM 500GB HDD and the read/write speeds are both around 30mb/s!!! There has to be something very wrong, hopefully it's just age, it is 5 years old now... I'm hopping that the speed of the SSD I put into the main HD slot is not throttled down to 1.5GB/s. Anyone know if it's the connectors that determines the negotiated speed or the quality of the drive? Is there anyway to bring this 1.5GB/s back up to 3.0?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.