MBP 2009 SSD options

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Lancer, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Lancer macrumors 68020

Lancer

Got an old MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2009 with 160Gb HDD, looking at putting in a 250GB Samsung SSD (DIY)

Is this advisable?

2. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

3. elf69 macrumors 68020

elf69

4. Lancer thread starter macrumors 68020

Lancer

Thanks, just 'won' it (the MBP) on eBay, so hopefully its a good one. Will test it before doing the swap.

I've done similar before, even put a bigger HDD in an iBook (nightmare) and it worked fine for years later.

One other question, I know the latest Mac OS works in even this old MBP, but what is the recommended Mac OS for a 2009 MBP 13"? I have Sierra and High Sierra on a bootable USB thumb drive, made them when I updated my iMac.

Going by the pictures this MBP has 10.8 Mountain Lion installed, can I upgrade online to the OS X of my choice?

5. elf69 macrumors 68020

elf69

yes you can upgrade via web but your usb drive method is better.

i had high sierra in a 2009 and 2010 macbook (white unibody) ran great with 8GB ram in both.

I also pulled the DVD drive and fitted a 2nd HDD/SSD.
    I relocated my home folder to the optical HDD.

that way cheap small (120GB SSD) and all my data on a 1TB HDD in optical bay.

That's just what I did.

6. Lancer thread starter macrumors 68020

Lancer

From what I read else where High Sierra won't work on the 2009 MBP, maybe they were wrong?

This is not my main computer, so I won't be transferring all my files, just what I need. Plus I only need it for basic internet access and media viewing when on the road for a few months, so as long as the WiFi works and the speakers/headphone I'm happy.

If all goes to play I want to drop in a 250Gb SSD I have, use a 500Gb HDD in an external case and I plan to dump a bunch of extra music, movies and TV on it while traveling.

Weirdly this MBP has 6Gb of RAM, so I guess 2+4. Thought they needed to be a matching pair?

7. elf69 macrumors 68020

elf69

it will work but not native, there is a hack to get it on.

if you got a spare drive or buy one swap out the dvd drive for a HDD then no need for usb one when traveling. Less to carry (or forget)

do not need matched pairs no think ECC ram needs matched pairs.

8. Lancer thread starter macrumors 68020

Lancer

I'll have a bag of 'gadget' stuff to take so an external HDD is no big deal, besides if this one breaks we have a 2nd newer MBP I can borrow when needed. Just got this older MBP for convenience.

I've seen photos of this MBP with the 6Gb RAM in so I know it works, not looking at spending more money on it for now. Got the SSD just sitting here doing nothing so will use that. Might get some more RAM later if its needed, this is an old MBP so don't want to put too much into it for it to break in 6 months time.

What is the latest Mac OS the 2009 MBP 13 can use without a hack?

9. elf69 macrumors 68020

elf69

latest think el Capitan.

check it up on everymac.com

10. Lancer thread starter macrumors 68020

Lancer

I was mistaken, this is a 2010 MBP, which is good as it does run High Sierra. Got it all sorted and its running 10.13.4 right now!

I think the reason the other El Capitan was not installing as the installer was looking for Snow Leopard or Lion and this MBP had Mountain Lion on it. Weird Apple doesn't have an installer for El Capitan unless you have a specific version of Mac OS.