MBP 2010 15" Kernel Panic due to nVidia driver

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yfnew, Oct 27, 2012.

1. yfnew macrumors newbie

my MBP was having kernel panic very often because of the Nvidia driver. I brought it to the apple store and check for the TS4088 problem. At first they said that my problem was because of that and they would fix it for free, but several days later they called me and said that they found custom RAM upgrade in my laptop and they thought it was because of that so I have to pay for the repair. I am sure it isn't because of the RAM because the kernel panic happened before I upgraded my RAM, but they just refused to fix that for me. My question is: Is it possible for me to put the original RAM back in and bring that to Apple Store again and do the TS4088 test? And is the TS4088 problem really because of my RAM?

2. Blue Sun, Oct 27, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2012

Blue Sun macrumors 6502a

RAM is user-replaceable and therefore upgrading it does NOT void the warranty. They should repair it for free if you purchased AppleCare.

And yes, just put the original RAM back in and return to the Apple store.

3. yfnew thread starter macrumors newbie

So they won't record my MBP as "custom modified" MBP and void my warranty? Also, I didn't purchase the AppleCare but according to apple's support webpage, the TS4088 problem is covered by apple for a 3-year warranty(http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4088). Does it matter?

Thanks!