Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bLaZ3n

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 9, 2010
I have a mid 2010, MBP 15in 2.4 Ghz Intel Core i5.. I need a new battery.. Ive had my stock battery since I purchased in 2010.

Now I see this message: "Replace Soon"

4JQruSh.png

What are my best options for a suitable replacement? Prices?

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
Apple will do it for you for a fee. Be careful about installing a third-party battery, as it could cause damage. Maybe if you find an OEM Apple battery, it would work ok, but apple doesn't sell them directly.

SuprUsrStan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
I believe that just means you hit the charge cycle count. It isn't actually based on the performance of the battery....

bLaZ3n

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 9, 2010
Does the battery actually need replacing in your opinion? You could also check the status in more detail with coconutBattery.

Will download this app now

I believe that just means you hit the charge cycle count. It isn't actually based on the performance of the battery....

Thanks, I'll look into that.. but what do you mean by charge cycle count? the maximum?

Apple will do it for you for a fee. Be careful about installing a third-party battery, as it could cause damage. Maybe if you find an OEM Apple battery, it would work ok, but apple doesn't sell them directly.

Thanks for commenting.

I had to replace a battery in a 2010 15-inch at the Apple store, and I think it was $129 installed.

Do you know how much it cost without installation?

funwithdesign

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2011

No, it's based on how much of the design capacity your battery is holding at 100%.

For example, my 2010 13" battery originally had 5770mAh when new, it now holds around 80% of that when it's fully charged. My status is still 'good'. I have 382 charge cycles.

For a while when Mavericks first came out, the OS was reporting mine as lower than that and the status was 'replace soon'. As soon as they fixed things in the OS it has now gone back up and is Good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.