MBP 2010 15in.. Post SSD Install

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bLaZ3n, Aug 19, 2014.

1. bLaZ3n macrumors regular

My previous topic: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1756862

Okay guys. So I have successfully installed my new Crucial SSD, and already transferred over my files from my HDD.

Just wondering, is there anything else left for me to setup to maximize performance? I remember reading somewhere about enabling TRIM.. what does TRIM do, and how do I enable it?

Side bar. When partitioning my HDD for the transfer, I resized it to 255.2, but my Crucial SSD is 256.. I know .8 MB isn't that much space to worry about, but is there a way to get that back?

2. simsaladimbamba

I can't help with TRIM, as I never bothered with it with my SSDs and have not seen any downside yet.

Why did you partition the HDD? It is not needed for cloning the HDD to an SSD.

Anyway, if you used Disk Utility for partition, use it again by selecting that second partition you wanna get rid of in the Partition tab and press that MINUS button underneath it.
    When that is done, resize the first partition via the little handle on the bottom right of the first partition graphic on the same tab.
    Then hit APPLY and be done with it.

The deletion of that second partition, if it exists, will delete all data on it.

3. Freyqq macrumors 68040

For trim, install trim enabler and run it every time there is a major osx software update to keep it enabled.

4. bLaZ3n thread starter macrumors regular

I was following a guide on Crucial's website. My HDD is 320GB, and my SD is 256GB.. When I first tried to transfer it wouldn't let me.. but when I partitioned my HDD to a size smaller than or equal to 256HD it worked perfectly.

Thanks. Anymore insight on what TRIM does exactly?

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yeah... that's a limitation when using Disk Utility to clone and is normal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRIM

You can read all about it here. Essentially, it allows the OS to tell the SSD what sections are no longer in use so they can be freed up.

6. simsaladimbamba

Ah, normally that is not needed, I have successfully transferred 50 or so GB from a 500 GB HDD onto a 250 GB HDD via CarbonCopyCloner (version 3.4.7 is still free and available for download here and works with Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, Mac OS X 10.7 Lion and OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion) without the need to partition the HDD first.

Since I cannot find any Crucial guide, I presume, that the tool you used to transfer data was something like Disk Utility, which does a bit by bit copy thus the source cannot be larger than the target, even if the actual data on the source is not accumulating more data than the target provides storage for.

Carbon Copy Cloner does not need such restrictions, thus my confusion.

Anyway, has the resizing of the HDD worked?

7. bLaZ3n thread starter macrumors regular

Here's the guide: http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-S...ur-old-hard-drive-to-your-SSD-Mac/ta-p/112072

I went to the Partition section in Disk Utility for my SSD, and there is no option to increase it.. only to decrease it.

8. simsaladimbamba

I thought we were talking about the HDD, which originally was bigger than the SSD, thus you resized the HDD partition in order to use Disk Utility to clone the HDD to the SSD.
    As the transfer is complete now, you want to resize the HDD partition to its original size, which works as I described minus the removing the second partition part.

Or am I understanding you wrong now?

9. bLaZ3n thread starter macrumors regular

Somewhat Correct.

Since the transfer is finished. In Disk Utility my 256GB SSD has a partition that is the size of 255.2GB instead of 256GB. I was wondering if there is a way to set it back to 256GB without losing data. (truthfully if there isn't, it won't be a big deal.. 800MB isn't much to worry about :rolleyes:)

Also, restoring my HDD to 320GB, instead of the partitioned size of 255.2GB will also be advantageous.

10. awests macrumors regular

I don't think you can get that 800 MB back, its filled with important stuff for the hard drive. My MX100 isn't exactly 256 GB either, it has a couple hundred MB's filled with what I presume is firmware and stuff.

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Not to worry, this is normal. Run the command "diskutil list" (without the quotes) in Terminal and you will see a hidden 209MB EFI partition that is used for firmware updates and a hidden 650MB recovery partition that is used for Internet recovery of the OS. You are good to go!

Just follow this to drag that triangle thingy down to resize the old partition back to full size.