MBP 2010 17" + SSD is very slow again

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hajime, Jun 9, 2016.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

Hello, I replaced the harddrive by a Samsung EVO850 SSD 1T few months ago. It was very fast at the beginning. Recently, my machine became very slow again and often I see the beach ball. From the activity monitor, I found that: Firefox 46.0.1 takes 15-45%. kernel_task and WindowServer are the next apps that take up cpu%. Do you know how to speed up the machine?

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

How much RAM do you have? Also which OS are you on? Ensure you're on the latest build of El Capitan.

A few things you can try in the interim to see if it runs smoother:

- run volume verification in Disk Utility, just to check all is OK there

- shut down often; once every couple of days, or whenever you're not using it, with the option 'reopen Windows when logging back in' unticked

- try using Safari instead of Firefox

Again, the above steps are just troubleshooting rather than permanent steps (though I personally would recommend them). However if they makes a positive difference, that should help towards diagnosing the problem.

Best wishes.

3. Oliverhay macrumors member

Oliverhay

Have you checked for TRIM support? About this mac --> system report --> SATA (or however your SSD is connected)
    Non-apple installed SSD's have it disabled by default I think. If you don't have trim on, which cleans up deleted parts of your SSD in the background, any computer will slow down.

There is a programme called TRIM enabler that I used to force TRIM on for a 2011 iMac with a Crucial SSD installed. Works very well.

4. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks for the tips.

I have 8GB RAM. 1TB SSD. 600GB devoted to Mac OS 10.11.6 Currently 16GB left.

At the end of volume verification, I got a File system verifying code 0.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 17, 2016 ---
    Thanks for the tips. Under system report -->SATA, I have:

Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB
    TRIM Support: yes

As far as I recall, when I first installed the drive to the MBP, I used command line to enable TRIM. From the report, does it verify that I have done that already?