MBP 2010 17" with SSD became very slow

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hajime, Aug 16, 2016.

1. hajime macrumors 68040

Hello, back in January, I upgraded the HD of my MBP 2010 17" to a Samsung Evo 850 SSD. The computer became fast for a few weeks but after that, I have performance issues as following:

- As I type to compose this post, keyboard respond is very slow. Letters do not show up immediately. Very often, I see beachball spinning before letters appear on the screen (in trunks).

-As I scroll through the website, beachball shows up and performance is sluggish

- The above happen even I just browse MR webpage without playing video. Also, the fan became noisy and the machine is hot.

Know what is going on? I am using Firefox.

Activity monitor shows that Firefox takes 101.9% CPU, 62 threads

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Could be simply that — CPU getting saturated. Might be best to try Safari for a bit and restart the Mac with reopen Windows when logging back in disabled.

If the issue persists, it may well be that the RAM is maxed, so it's paging to the disk. What does RAM usage show in Activity Monitor?

Potentially the HDD SATA cable might be on its way out if it's neither of the above.

3. strukt macrumors member

strukt

4. hajime thread starter macrumors 68040

Memory usage right now is 1.28GB. Compress memory is zero byte. I have 8GB RAM on my computer.

If it is the HDD SATA cable problem, why the fan is running loud and the computer is hot?

5. ZVH macrumors 6502

How much free space do you have on the drive? If the drive is short of free space the system will bottleneck just like it had a hardware problem. You should have at a bare minimum at least 8GB of free space on a drive.

Barring hardware or space, you may need to open up Activity Monitor and look into what processes are using up the CPU.

6. hajime thread starter macrumors 68040

I have 16GB left on the drive. I just use the computer to serve the web these days. Firefox always take up the most CPU and memory.