MBP 2010 Hard Drive Problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nick676, Jun 23, 2013.

1. nick676 macrumors newbie

I've been running a Samsung SSD in the optibay in my 2010 MBP 13 for over a year now, with my old Seagate Momentus XT in the regular HD bay. Everything has been working fine. When I installed the SSD I didn't bother wiping the old old hard drive properly, I just deleted everything off it.

I noticed last week that there were still some old files etc on there taking up space, so tried to format it properly. This is where my troubles started.

Firstly I tried re-formatting it in Disk Utility, but it wouldn't work. Next tried booting into recovery and re-formatting it there, but it would get to around 50% and then give an error. After that I created a Parted Magic CD, booted into that and managed to successfully wipe and re-format the drive.

Now when I boot into OSX the drive does show up, but if I start trying to copy anything onto it I get an error (error 36) saying data can't be read or written.

I've tried re-formatting the drive several times now in GParted, I've completely wiped it several times now, I've tried formatting to NTFS, FAT and HFS+, I've ran all the error testing tools without finding any faults.

What else can I do? I have no idea why it won't work anymore, especially when I can't find any errors on the drive. Can anyone help at all?! I don't want to have to buy another hard drive, especially if there's nothing wrong with this one. Would swapping the bays the drives are mounted in help at all?

Sorry for the long post...

2. nick676 thread starter macrumors newbie

Can anyone suggest anything? I can't even take it to Apple as I've removed the optical drive.

3. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

I'm thinking that's because the orignal HDD space is meant for OS therefore it wouldnt allow you to do it.

4. nick676 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay thanks, so theoretically if I swap the SSD and HDD into different bays, it ought to work?

5. nick676 thread starter macrumors newbie

Swapping the two drives around seemed to do the trick! The first reboot I got a white screen with a flashing grey folder, but verified both drives and it worked after that!