MBP 2010 having trouble with RAM?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kangping, May 7, 2010.

1. kangping macrumors member

Hi everybody,

About 2 weeks ago I bought a nice new 15" i7 MBP. Also I ordered an extra set of 4 GB Ram.
    Of course I was stupid enough to build in in right away (after running the MBP only for a few minutes). After a while I started to have issues with the MBP... "turning ball" forever, until I just turned it off... and 3 kernel panics (one even just while shutting off the computer). I tested everything with the apple tool set, and also with memtest... neither of them mentioned any issues.
    Yesterday I finally put in the original set of RAM and have been stress testing since. No issues up till now.

Finally my question :) Can I be sure, that it is an defective RAM (4 GB, Hynix Module), or do I have to be afraid it's some logic board issue or s.th. major, since neither memtest nor apple tool set were complaining about the RAM? Is there another way, to definitley exclude issues with other hardware?

I would appreciate any opinions :) Oh and btw.. please excuse my poor english :)

Regards,
    kangping

2. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

Sounds like the ram to me. I'd try and narrow it down to a particular module and ask for a replacement.

3. kangping thread starter macrumors member

So, it's possible that memtest and apple-tools don't really recognize a problem concerning the RAM module?

Regards

4. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Absolutely it's possible. I had the same issues a few years back when I did my first memory upgrade. Apple notebooks have always been VERY picky about the memory they've used, going back to my iBook G3 500mhz. Ever since that experience, I've just used OWC for my memory. It's only slightly more expensive than the other retailers, and it's very reasonable, lifetime guaranteed, and 100% picked for your the mac, rather than just a general piece of memory.