MBP 2010 HDD Okay?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by skate71290, Dec 5, 2010.

1. skate71290 macrumors 6502a

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/15453...-Drive-Scorpio-Blue/Product.html?add=15453814

Just wanted to know if this is a good drive for the 2010 i7 (15") MBP, i am running out of space on my stock drive, has anyone had any issues/problems with this drive? Will i need to keep my old drive for any repairs that may need to be done? If not, how much could i get for it (£)? Any advice would be appreciated, Regards, skate71290 :)

2. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

Good drive! I have the 500GB version and its been running fine for a year.

3. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

4. rnelan7 macrumors 6502

rnelan7

That will work, just keep your original incase you need to send it to Apple care.

5. millerb7 macrumors 6502a

YOU DO NOT need to keep your old drive FOR ANYTHING. Hard drives and RAM are user accessible and it states right in apples site that changing them DOES NOT, I REPEAT DOES NOT void warranty.

Doing an optibay is up in the air. It's technically user accessible, but it's a grey area. I talked to a genius at the store, he also told me a grey area. So for me, if I have to take it in, I'm putting my optical drive back in it "just in case"... but as far as HDD and RAM, do what you want, you're fine.

6. deeddawg macrumors 604

This statement is 100% correct. However it is also incomplete in that it doesn't address the most common reason for retaining the OEM equipment.

Should a motherboard fault occur with symptoms that could arguably be attributed to a hard drive or RAM issue, it's much easier to avoid a game of "blame the upgrade" if you swap the OEM drive or RAM back into the system and duplicate the issue. With HDD's there's always a use for the OEM drive; slap it into an enclosure and use it for your critical data offsite backups or something. OEM RAM you don't typically get enough money for to make it worthwhile doing anything with; the OWC deal is the first one I've seen for enough money to make one think about trading it in.

So no, you don't NEED to keep OEM RAM or HDD. Do with them what you will. Yet consider the "what if's" and make a thought out choice.

7. Frankydan100 macrumors regular

Frankydan100

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I think I'm going to upgrade my MBP to that hard drive too, I have the same as you. Someone mentioned a samsung one though on amazon bit cheaper about 75 I think. Thinking western mite be more reliable though!

8. millerb7 macrumors 6502a

Yeah I can see the argument more with the HDD than the RAM myself... but I kept both. I put the stock 320GB HDD into a pocket USB enclosure (FANTASTIC!).. and I still have my ram which I'm debating on selling but not sure yet. I might send it in to OWC as that's where I got my ram from. We shall see.... but to me it's pointless to sell the HDD, just put it into an enclosure as you can NEVER EVER EVER have enough storage room.

If you don't think you need it, do yourself a favor... use CCC and make the external pocket enclosure a bootable backup of OSX, if your SSD ever fails, plug it in, BAM, you're rocking again.

9. Frankydan100 macrumors regular

Frankydan100

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I think I'm going to upgrade my MBP to that hard drive too, I have the same as you. Someone mentioned a samsung one though on amazon bit cheaper about 75 I think. Thinking western mite be more reliable though!

10. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Technically, yes. However, like another post mentioned, Apple will do about anything possible to deny the claim, so it is always a better idea to keep the old and put it back in, should you need to send it to apple.

11. Stvwndr219 macrumors 6502

This. I've done this with the 250GB I replaced, now if anything ever goes wrong, I can pop it in, run time machine and be back up and running.

12. joe8232 macrumors regular

Can anyone tell me if this drive is compatible with a 13" MBP unibody from 2009? I seem to remember reading somewhere that the size is slightly different compared to the 500gb version [which I have at the moment].