MBP 2010 - Should I buy one?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Lancer, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Lancer macrumors 68020

Lancer

Need a MBP for basic tasks while on the road, at a budget price ($300AU)

Tasks include,
    - eMail/internet/Netflix
    - Word, Excel & Photos
    - Playback of MP4 video x264/x265
    - 1-2 hours battery life, will be used on mains power most of the time.

Looking at 2009/2010 MBP 13, pre i5 (as they tend to cost twice as much on eBay here in Australia)

2. Khaleal macrumors regular

I wouldn't recommend, it's a very old laptop and will be soon OOS. If you're on a strict budget I'd recommend you getting at least a mid 2012 one (which BTW, you can upgrade to 16GB RAM and SSD of any size)

3. vseera macrumors regular

Nope. How about a cheap ipad?

Or if not, a mid 2012 one as the other person suggests.

4. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

A 2010 will all of that OK except for h.265. It will even run High Sierra, fully supported.

I too would go for a later model but if you can’t, it would be acceptable to run a 2010. Just be aware though that you’d need to install an SSD to make it acceptable so that has to be factored into the price. Also, bare minimum is 4 GB RAM but 8 GB is usually preferred.

A 2009 can also work and get High Sierra unofficially.

Check my sig. I have a 2008 aluminum MacBook and a 2009 MacBook Pro both running High Sierra and they work just fine but they are of course a bit slow. However that’s with SSD and 8 GB in both.

5. qawes macrumors 6502

qawes

Even though you specified it in this post, I would strongly recommend you save up a little bit more, dig deeper and find yourself a 2011 model. It's possible you'll be needing to upgrade next year and today's deal might be tomorrow's loss.

You'll get way more "bang for your buck" with a 2011 model, so my answer is no, you shouldn't buy a 2009/2010 model.

6. Lancer thread starter macrumors 68020

Lancer

I've got a 256Gb Samsung SSD from the 2011 15" MBP (which died - video card) with should be fine. I'll try and get a 2011 or better, 13" but could be tough on my budget.

An iPad is okay in theory but a bit hard to play MP4 without a suitable external SSD. Love Apple products but so much easier to slip an SD card in a Android tablet and play video files.

7. nnoble macrumors 6502

I'm on a mid-2010 MBP now. I'd be delighted if it was included in the list of machines to take the next OS update, but I don't expect it will.

8. theluggage macrumors 68040

I never feel that money spent on old computers is well spent... but actually, at that sort of price (people may be missing 'AU' in that dollar price, which makes a difference) it might actually be worth considering. Do take into account what @EugW said about fitting a SSD and min. 4G RAM - so don't go much higher.

If you were prepared to spend more money, I'd go for a newer MacBook Air, but if If AU$300 is your price limit then I don't think you're going to do better without going to a PC or tablet solution.

I have a 2010 13" MBP (4GB, with SSD, still running 10.9) that I use as an emergency backup, or when I need a basic computer on-the road and don't want to lug my 17". Its perfectly usable for general tasks. You can't get away from the fact that its an 8-year-old computer, but you're not trying to do anything that people weren't doing 8 years ago... Be forewarned that it might be excluded from the next version of Mac OS (but the current version will be supported for several more years anyway) and - obviously - if it goes wrong its going to be "beyond economical repair" - so don't count on it lasting you too many years.

If I recall correctly, the NVIDIA motherboard-chipset-with-graphics in the Mid-2010 13" MBP is a keeper (and the reason why that model stuck with Core 2 Duo rather than i-series processors with inferior integrated graphics) - it's the 2010/2011 MBPs with discreet graphics that are best avoided.

9. Naimfan Suspended

Naimfan

10. Lancer thread starter macrumors 68020

Lancer

Not worried about the next OS, as long as it works for a few months. I would love something new(er) but here the starting price for a MBP is about $1900AU, I'd rather put that into my new iMac. And as I said I have a Samsung 256Gb SSD that was in a 2011 MBP15, which should be an easy swap for the 2010 MBP.

11. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

If you already a 256 GB SSD, then the 2010 will likely be fine. I see that all of the 2010s have 4 GB RAM, so you have a decent starting point. You won't be stuck with a 2 GB machine like you might if you got a 2009.

If you find a deal on RAM, it might even be worth upgrading to 8 GB. The current prices are around $60-80 US. Too bad there aren't some crazy sales like there were last year. I managed to find 2 x 4 GB of PC3-8500 DDR3 1067 MHz Transcend RAM (8 GB total) last year for about US$35, sold by Amazon.ca. Sale only lasted a couple of hours though before it sold out. Perfect for the 2008 aluminum MacBook I bought for US$150 off Kijiji a few weeks before.

12. Lancer thread starter macrumors 68020

Lancer

Its just a matter of winning one on eBay at a good price.

13. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

Look for a 2012 release non-retina MacBook Pro and upgrade the internal hard drive yourself if necessary...