MBP 2010 Wi-fi card issues?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gata, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Gata macrumors regular

So recently, as of late, I've been having connectivity issues with the wifi on my Macbook pro 2010.

When I load OSX, the wifi card will usually be able to connect and have working internet for a little while (time actually functioning varies from half an hour to an hour) before the internet finally decides to cut out, and then the airport menu in the menu bar depicts that there are no wi-fi networks to connect to, whereas there are normally 4 or 5.

At this point, if I turn off the wi-fi card and attempt to turn it back on, it simply stays turned off, even if I try to do it from the Network panel in System Preferences.

Rebooting the computer fixes the issue, but only temporarily.

In Windows, the computer 'connects' to a network but has no internet access instantly and upon boot, though if i disconnect from the initial network and try to connect to another network, the connection always fails. This happens as soon as Windows loads, as opposed to the half-hour lag time OSX has (though judging by the fact that it 'connects' to a network upon boot, I suspect it's undergoing the same process OSX does, just much faster).

I was running 10.8.2. Resetting the DHCP and wi-fi preferences in osx *seems* to have fixed it for quite a bit longer, though to be honest, the time it takes for the wi-fi card to fail under OSX is already pretty sporadic as is.

As I was pressed for time for a project that was due the next day, I rebooted instantly upon wi-fi card failure and as such couldn't/didn't wait to see whether or not the wi-fi card would resume functionality.

What do you think it sounds like?

Sent it in for diagnostics yesterday evening, but I'm trying to figure out if this is a hardware or firmware issue. Failure under windows has me thinking hardware.

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

3. Gata thread starter macrumors regular

Wi-fi's fine- all other devices (including my dad's late 2008 mbp) connect just fine.

That, and I don't think my router's so messed up it would cause my wi-fi card to stop detecting any networks at all.

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

5. Gata thread starter macrumors regular

Linksys.

6. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

A Linksys what?

Does it work with other WiFi networks? What did Apple say after you took it in?

7. Gata thread starter macrumors regular

Linksys E2500 on Comcast's internet.

Apple ran diagnostics on it and ran constantly loading webpages on their wifi, as it was working at the time.

The Macbook Pro has issues with any and all wifi networks when connected.

Intriguingly enough, I've noted that while the Macbook Pro stays cool, the wifi keeps working, but when the fans kick up (either by my setting them that way with smcFanControl or automatically), the wifi seems to die, and doesn't seem to come back for a while- it did come back after I put it in my bag and went to the library.

I would guess that there's dust or something being forced against the airport card/connection, maybe?

Suggestions for where I could buy a screwdriver? (these aren't the pentalobe screws)

8. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

If you can reproduce this problem when fans are on then bring it in to Apple. Don't use SMC though cause i don't think it allowed. Just use something that's heavy duty (photoshop) and make the fan to turn on.

If you insist of opening your macbook then go to ifixit.com to buy all the necessary tools.

9. uncletoby macrumors newbie

I have this *exact* problem with my 2010 MBP.

Sometimes it won't happen for days, other times it will happen twice in an hour.

AppleCare basically gutted my MBP -- new logic board, new WiFi card, new screen, new RAM. It went away for a while, and then started happening again.

When it happens, I can't even start WiFi diagnostics. When i try, it tells me my WiFi is off, even when I haven't turned it off.

It is the most frustrating problem. It started with the upgrade to Lion, but I don't know if it truly is a software problem or that simply correlates with a hardware flaw appearing at the same time. But none of the "resolve your OSX WiFi issues" voodoo suggestions does a thing to fix this.