MBP 2010 Yellow Tint Display - Not sure about replace adventure

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sinsin, May 14, 2010.

1. sinsin macrumors member

I have a brand new macbook pro 15 2.4 glossy with the yellow tinge in the bottom of the screen, even my wife have noticed the problem in a slideshow of black and white photos (the bottom of the images looks a little sepia) As a motion artist and graphic designer color accuracy is important for me.

I think this problem is more common that it seems. I really don't know if i should take the risk of returning it at the apple store, there are people who have received laptops with the same or more degree of yellow tinge after replace.

I have not seen yet pictures of 2010 macbook screen shots of the people who says its all right with their machines.

How many time should we wait for getting the screens right?

Are we facing something like the 27inch iMac display issue?

2. NicktheNorse macrumors member

What are your panel details? (see here)

I'm in a similar boat. Not sure if its worth kicking up a fuss and spending the next 2 months getting replacement after replacement when it's likely they all have the same problem.

3. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

post a photo and i'll tell you if the problem is real or if you're bound to get the same exact "problem" on subsequent returns.

4. sinsin thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for your answers,

I'm at work now but I will post later the images that i have taken and the profile of my panel.

Also i see that the number of cases is increasing here and in the apple discussion forums.

5. sinsin thread starter macrumors member

Panel details

15.4 Standard Res (2010 i5 Macbook)

9CA4
    LTN154BT08

Samsung

Does anyone have the same problem with this panel?

Attached Files:

6. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

It looks slightly questionable, and it's hard to tell from the pictures, but i'm willing to bet this isn't real yellow tint and that the replacement will be the same. the problem isn't really yellow tint as much as it is an inherent flaw with these screens - poor viewing angles, uneven backlighting, etc.

7. sinsin thread starter macrumors member

I think the yellow tinge problem is real and it should not be present in a professional laptop. I have seen a Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro at Future Shop without the yellow tint behind a i5 MBP with the same problem that i have.

For me it's a subtile difference in color but is there, and working in photoshop with black and white images and scrolling over the picture can tell the differences between the screen areas.

Here another image (You can compare the hue values between the top and bottom gray squares)

Really don't like to waste time in replacing, fixing, dating at the apple store.

Attached Files: