MBP 2011 13" I7 heat (tested)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by adnoh, Mar 5, 2011.

1. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

Went into an apple store today since the refresh and here are my observations vs the 2010 model:

1) overall it runs much hotter than the out going model. This was very noticeable. I compared it to a 2010 uMB and 13" MBA.

2) Its insanely fast! I was browsing the web and going to my favourite sites and they kept loading instantly. I was blown away! I did the same test on a MBA and although fast there was a tell tale lag when pages were loading. Must have been fractions of a second by noticeable none the less. No lag at all on the I7 when without an SSD.

3) It was noisey in the shop so couldn't make an assessment on noise. Didnt seem any worse in the same environment though.

Thought I'd share that info with you guys if anyone is trying to get a range of views on the new models.

Personally, I dont think i could put up with the heat. Im typing on my 2010 uMB and its completely cool to touch everywhere. The 2011 MBP reminded me of my old core duo machine which ran so hot i could feel the heat on the underside of my desk.

The I7 is awesomely fast though...I want one!:cool:

2. Deeps macrumors regular

Was the heat due to many applications running?

I'm getting a CTO 13.3 i7 with 8GB Ram and 128 SSD hopefully next week :).

It's good to know it's fast!

3. adnoh thread starter macrumors 6502a

adnoh

no there were no applications running (dont know if someone had lots open before me though).

I just had safari open and thats it.

4. Rhyalus macrumors 6502

Rhyalus

So here as my take as a long time PC / laptop user, and a new Mac user.

Bigger and better processors and GPUs simply make more heat. Don't take this the wrong way, but Macbooks have not been powerful enough to experience this until now.

Don't shoot the messenger... it is just a reality of physics that if you run a dual core chip you won't make as much heat.

Now Apple has finally decided to put a little beef in, and you Mac guys are not used to the byproduct of rocking processors.

So enjoy the heat - trust that Apple has worked the design to handle it. If not, we will find out soon enough. :)

R

5. scmarcos macrumors member

I don't like to work for hours on a hot keyboard, do you?
    I would like to know if the heat generated by the i7 is really a lot!
    Thanks to all of you!
    I am going to buy mine on Wednesday!
    Any ohter experience?

6. brentsg, Mar 6, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2011

brentsg macrumors 68030

Title is misleading.

I hardly consider someone tinkering in-store to be testing. If that's the case then I put the entire lineup through the ringer yesterday.

7. -Ken- macrumors regular

Most 'day to day' apps on my MBP i7 cause zero fan noise, zero heat. In fact, I only hear (barely) the hard drive which is to the right of the touchpad.

I have to do something quite CPU intensive for the fans to kick in.

8. yakz macrumors newbie

Most of the heat is closer to the screen, not so much in the palm rest area. The heat doesn't really transfer through the keycaps. If it's sitting in your lap it can become uncomfortably warm on your legs if you're running it hard.

9. glhiii macrumors regular

New 2.3, no heat so far

I've been using a new 2.3 for 2 days and haven't noticed any heat. The fans only came on once. Perhaps the machine at the store didn't have automatic graphics switching (energy saver) enabled. That would mean all graphics is being done by the AMD Radeon instead of the Intel HD Graphics. Someone said this creates a lot of heat and uses up the battery faster.

10. namtaB macrumors regular

Heat is never a good thing, I don't care how fast and powerful these processors are. I remember when laptops carried the Pentium 4 and how hot those got. So many problems and failures b/c of it. Probably the next evolution of the SB will solve the heat problems.

11. scubasteve03 macrumors regular

Read the post. He was testing a 13" which only has the Intel card, no AMD. I'm glad you your 2.3 is not too hot. My 15" 2.2 runs around 44C while browsing and light photo editing.

12. adnoh thread starter macrumors 6502a

adnoh

I'm not saying my test was comprehensive but I was stating my observations as a casual user.

Those in denial that the new Mbps don't run hot probably have one or are thinking if getting one. They do run hotter as confirmed by the numerous posts on heat.

I have no interest in putting the new Mbps down, I like it has an i7 but those people thinking of getting one need to accept it runs hotter.

13. jedics macrumors newbie

Even though I desperately need a new laptop I will also be waiting for the next revision as Im not paying $2000+ just to own a glorified hairdryer.......Im already typing on one of those.

Get real apple, 90C might be well withing spec for the hardware but is WAY out of spec for anyone using it.

14. zwodubber macrumors 6502a

The surface area on my i5 has never felt hot to the touch (typically run photoshop CS5, InDesign CS5, Safari, iTunes, various software simultaneously)

[​IMG]