MBP 2011 13" screen issue.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gpat, Jun 10, 2013.

1. gpat macrumors 6502a

I have a Macbook Pro 13" from 2011, with Intel Core i5 and HD3000 graphics. Since a week ago, the screen has a color tint. First it was green, now bluish. Red is rendered as gray-black, and blue, intermittent horizontal lines are displayed most of the time, especially when I change the screen orientation.
    Random artifacts are displayed as well.
    This problem appeared without apparent reason, once I took my macbook (which was in standby mode) out of my suitcase after a travel.

Displaying stuff on an external monitor works just fine.

Should I change the logical board/display cable?

2. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

the display cable comes with the display assembly(top lid) so if it is the cable you will need to change that. But both these parts display & logic board are costly. Hope you have protection plan if any. Some countries also have 2 years warranty.

3. gpat thread starter macrumors 6502a

I reordered the LVDS cable, and was prepared to change it through an hellish procedure (link), but when the Mac was opened, I simply moved a bit the LVDS connector on the logical board, and it was magically fixed.
    I wasted 25€ on a LVDS cable on eBay, but it was still better than wasting 400€ on a new display I guess.
    Curious thing, the Genius at the Apple Store told me that it tried doing this as well, but didn't work.
    Tried upselling me the whole monitor I guess. That's so lame, I didn't want to spend that much anyway.

4. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

the guys at apple service will replace parts at whole. But yes while in warranty it is good. But outta warranty a cable thats need to be refitted they will say tried it you will need this new. Im certainly glad you fixed it yourself however you could keep the cable if need be in future or send it back if the store you ordered from takes returns.