MBP 2011 and Crucial M4 - HELP ME OUT....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jeffreymabq, Apr 7, 2012.

1. jeffreymabq, Apr 7, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2012

jeffreymabq macrumors newbie

OK, so I have had a Crucial M4 in my MBP (2011) for about 6 months - no issues. Suddenly, the other day - it would not boot. After wiping the SSD and restoring from Time Machine, I can boot to the SSD in a USB enclosure, but not when it is in the Macbook. EDIT - And, the SSD boots fine in another MacBook, so it is clearly the computer. BUT, the regular platter drive works and boots fine.

I was on EFI 2.7, but I thought that might be the problem, so I rolled back to 2.2 - no help.

EDIT - The SSD is on the latest firmware - 0309. No change.

Any ideas?

2. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

Check the firmware of the M4 and see if there is an update for it. Could it be a possible firmware issue regarding SATA? If not, call up Crucial.

3. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Sounds to me more like there's a problem with the MacBook, either the SATA connection or the logic board. Does an old hard drive work though?

4. rafael.souza macrumors newbie

Place the ssd in place of the superdrive to test if it works

5. jeffreymabq, Apr 8, 2012

jeffreymabq thread starter macrumors newbie

UPDATE - The SSD boots fine on my wife's MacBook. So, it is clearly the MBP.
    Again, the Apple platter drive works fine in there - it is just the SSD.

Rolling back from EFI 2.7 to 2.2 did not do it - any suggestions?

And, how much pushback should I expect from Apple about the fact that I want my non-Apple SSD to work?
    I know to switch the Optibay back out for the Superdrive - but I fear Apple is going to give me hassle, because it sounds like a logicboard issue.

Jeff

6. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

Like a previous poster asked, check the firmware version of the Crucial M4 (when using it in your wife's MacBook perhaps). Current latest version is 0309.

There was a bug in a previous firmware that only surfaced after the M4 had been running for 5184 hours of power-on time. It shouldn't prevent it from booting but it could be causing your issue.

7. jeffreymabq thread starter macrumors newbie

It is on the latest firmware, 0309. Sorry, I neglected to mention that.

8. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

You don't say whether this is a warranty issue or not.

Have somebody at the Apple Store put one of their approved SSD's in it. If there's a problem it's all moot and they'll need to fix it (If under warranty of course). I wold think the fact Apple allows you to open up the MBP and put your own stuff inside it makes this their problem should their own SSD fail.

You've got nothing to lose.

9. jeffreymabq, Apr 8, 2012

jeffreymabq thread starter macrumors newbie

Well - if I am without the laptop for a week due to repairs, I have something to lose - I am coming up on finals. If the laptop fails during finals, I have something to lose.

And, I guess I don't really care "what you think" about Apple's policy regarding SSD's.

I was looking for technical feedback from people that may have some suggestions for something obvious to fix, not one person's conjecture and opinions about what I do/don't have to lose.

KrazyBill - do you ever post anything productive in here?

10. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Holy crap. Talk about coming out of "left field" :confused: Now what did I say to deserve this retort?

After you yourself have isolated the problem to your very own machine... AND, after you and others have indicated it's most likely your logic board... your only recourse is to take it in. I was only trying to offer advice and "assurances" that if under warranty just maybe Apple would eat the repair cost.

OMG. Newbies. :eek:

11. darkslide29 macrumors 65816

LOL, I was looking to solve an issue I have with my Crucial M4 (didn't find it in this thread) and came upon these posts. GEEZ, poor you. All you did was try and help ensure that the Apple Store gives him as little hassle as possible, and you got your head bit off! LOL, don't worry, I saw that it was advice and assurance to get it repaired, and would have gladly taken it.