MBP 2011 and Lion?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by lomby, Jul 17, 2011.

?

Are you upgrading/clean install Lion on release day?

Poll closed Jul 29, 2011.
  1. Yes

65.2%
  2. No

17.4%
  3. Maybe

6.5%
  4. Depends on other User reviews and forum posts

13.0%
  1. lomby macrumors regular

Hi guys! In the recent couple of weeks there have been threads saying that there has been slow animations and issues just relating to the new and current Macbook Pros which were released in February. I have a 2.2 Ghz 15' MBP. It is my first mac and i enjoy a lot to the point where i don't want it to stuff up. :eek:

My Question(s) are:
    1. Have you had any issues with your Macbook Pro, if so would you recommend updating to lion on release day?
    2.If there are any ways around the issues?

Thank you everyone in advance. :D
    I am sorry if there are any recent threads relating to this.

Ross :)

2. harrisondavies macrumors 6502

harrisondavies

Hi,

No issues whatsoever, just a few bugs. If you want it get it, I haven't come across any real show stoppers, and all will be fixed in time.

Only you can decide if you want it day one...my recommendation...go for it, you have nothing to lose and all to gain.

3. Atarikid macrumors regular

There is most definitely a performance issue with the latest MBPs and Lion.
    It is heavily discussed at the Apple devs forum atm
    Many devs already confirmed this with hard figures the GUI is running about 4 to 5 times slower compared to SL.

Why some people say Lion is running good? Because some people do not see the difference between a 30fps an d 60fps shooter. People who see the difference are in for a surprise when you run Lion on a Intel 3000HD chipset (latest MBPs).

My advice: if you have a MBP 2011 do not upgrade to Lion until this get fixed.

Note: Lion seems to run fine on recent iMacs and Mac Pros. So no worries for those owners.

Work-a-round:
    Yes, you can always use the Radeon HD6750M (disabling the Automatic graphics switching) but it drains your battery in less then a hour and your MBP is running a lot hotter too.

4. lomby, Jul 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2011

lomby thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for your advice :D

Do you think there will be updates within a month or two? i'm not a heavy gamer - uberstrike (MAS) or basic minecraft.

But honestly playing those games do you'd think i'd notice the differences frame rates? im not worried about swapping graphics cards or anything because im always near power. Sorry for all these questions :)

Thank you for your advice :D it is greatly appreciated :D

5. Atarikid macrumors regular

Games will run fine with about the same framerate as in SL
    It is just the GUI that is 5 times slower which is imo the most important feature of any OS. :)

6. lomby, Jul 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2011

lomby thread starter macrumors regular

Ok not so cool:eek:

i have a hypothetical..... :rolleyes:

say if you were in my shoes, what would you do?

:)

These words make me feel so much more confident......:)

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm excited for lion now even though all the bugs .... :) :(

7. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

Especially on the IGP lion runs like a turtle. Full acreen animations are really stuttering. There are serious issues with video performance in lion, SL runs much smoother.

I'd wait for at least 10.7.1 before upgrading, and hope they fixed all/most of the bugs. You're not missing out in not moving to lion anyway, there's nothing new and improved in it that you can't go without.

8. lomby thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Your post actually made me think about the features. Lion is a bonus I may live without for a bit. I'm migh test it out on my brothers iMac at first and make a decision. Your post is too true :D

9. adztaylor macrumors 68000

I'm running it on my 2011 MBP and find it really smooth. Animations are great and to me it runs no slower than SL. Loving Mission Control and the full screen apps.

10. Atarikid macrumors regular

Then you are a person who do not see the difference between a 30fps and 60fps shooter. No offense meant though. :)

Look, figures are not lying, MBP with a Intel 3000HD are about 5 times slower concerning GUI and for me this unacceptable. The GUI isn't working smooth like it should. Try a application which uses a lot of window rescaling ... it is jerky as h*ll.

Anyway, in the end it is personal thing. If you do not mind working with a less smooth GUI you will be happy running Lion nevertheless.
    But most OS X users are a bit picky on those things and that is why many MBP 2011 owners will be very disappointed.

11. adztaylor macrumors 68000

I use my MBP for basic tasks not professional (hence why I only have a 13") but no I genuinely don't see any difference. I'm not trying to mislead anyone, just saying my experience. Probably my eye is nowhere near as good as people who are so good at spotting this. So no I probably can't tell the difference.

12. lomby thread starter macrumors regular

Rumor mill is churning!

13. leachy14 macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_9 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E501 Safari/6533.18.5)

Well I think I'll update tomorrow and even of there is a problem, apple will fix it :D

14. lomby thread starter macrumors regular

I sure hope so :)

15. pinetech macrumors newbie

fix for laggy graphics 30 fps

Guys you can fix the 30fps thing by putting your macbook pro to sleep and after you wake it up you will have 60fps!!! For me is working and i have the gm version.Let me know if it works for you..

16. strubinstein macrumors member

I'm running the retail version on my 2010 i7 MBP right now, and I find its running mostly great on the IGP, and I am the kind of person who can tell the difference between 30 and 60fps. Definitely not significantly worse than SL.