MBP 2011-Apple Care question reg. SSD replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macjunk(ie), May 24, 2014.

1. macjunk(ie) macrumors 6502a

Not sure if this was asked here before but I remember that changing the hard rive on a MBP (non-retina) does not void the warranty.

I got a MBP 2011 model whose warranty expires this year. I had replaced its 750GB hard drive with an Intel SSD. Off late though, I have been having kernel panics related to GPU (See here). I called up AppleCare to test the waters and see if my warranty still holds up and to my surprise, they said no! I would like to dismiss this as lack of information on the AppleCare rep's part but anyone here with experience on this matter? I have since restored my MBP to its original config and as expected, things have slowed down to a crawl!

2. alex0002, May 24, 2014
    Last edited: May 24, 2014

alex0002 macrumors 6502

I can't say I have been in the same position as you, so I don't have experience in this. However, I'm checking the user manual for my machine which is a late 2011 13" MBP.

The manual includes a chapter:

Chapter 3 Boost Your MacBook Pro
    In that chapter there are sections covering:
    • Replacing the Hard Disk Drive
    • Installing Additional Memory

These are tasks that Apple expects the owner to carry out, although they do make the recommendation "Apple recommends that you have an Apple-certified technician install replacement drives and memory".

Since it's mentioned in their own manual, swapping the hard disk should not be justification for refusing a claim. You can download the manual for your machine and I expect it will say something similar.

http://support.apple.com/manuals/#macbookpro

3. skyhawkmatthew macrumors member

skyhawkmatthew

It won't be an issue. I've had (on separate occasions) a logic board and a battery replacement on my 2009 MBP with an aftermarket SSD and RAM in it. No questions were asked.

4. macjunk(ie) thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks for the replies!
    The damn thing has not crashed since I made the switch and I can only take so many beach balls a day...SSD going back in.