MBP 2011 audio output crackling

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nyucca, Aug 9, 2011.

1. nyucca macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, first off, I apologize in advance if this is quite a long post, I just dont want to leave out any details that would help you, help me.

I just got a new early 2011 MBP, 15" higher end model (it shipped with lion pre-installed)

the question/problem I have is; when I plug a set of speakers into the the computer through the built in headphone jack, as soon as I create any sound (be it form itunes, or other applications, or even just the sound that it makes when you change the volume) it starts the speakers making a very loud crackling and static-y sound that is quite unbearable. It will continue to play music/other audio through the noise, but the noise drowns out everything else if the volume is <50%

the volume of the crackling does not change when i change the volume of what is playing on the mac, but it does change when i change the volume on the actual speakers themselves (i usually keep the speakers at around 75% of full, and just control the volume using the keyboard volume controls)

Here is what i have determined so far:
    I have ruled out the speakers as the issue, because I have plugged the speakers into my phone, 2 different ipods, and old macbook and was able to play music etc. with no problems at all.

I have also noticed that a similar crackling/static sound can be heard when I plug in any set of headphones that are any larger than ipod earbuds, although the crackling can be drown out much easier than with the speakers, which basically need to be cranked to 11 before you forget about the crackling in the background

I have more or less nailed this down to a problem with the actual headphone port on the macbook, because, when using the same speakers, and the same plug, but plugged into the computer through a 3.5mm-to-USB headphone adapter, and after configuring the MIDI to output through the usb port, the result is flawless audio.

I realize that I have found a solution to being able to use speakers with my computer without getting the crackling (by using the usb adapter), but this leaves me with only one USB port, which is very inconvenient. I am disappointed that my 2 day old $2400 computer cant even make use of the built in headphone jack

is this a problem with all mbp's or am I on my own? Also, is this a hardware problem, and if so, is it something that I should send in while it is under warranty? or is the issue just with the quality of the hardware that apple has used, perhaps an improper power supply to the headphone jack or something like that, that sending my computer away for repair wouldnt fix?

if you have made it this far, thank you very much for your patience, and i really hope you can help me out with this. and thanks in advance for any help you can offer

Cheers

2. nyucca thread starter macrumors newbie

3. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

Obviously unbearably loud "crackling" is not a problem with all MBPs or no one would use them. You have a new machine with a broken headphone port - take it to a store and have them fix it. There's no reason you should have to use a USB adapter on your new machine.

4. nyucca thread starter macrumors newbie

i asked if it was a common problem because my brother also bought a new mbp and his has the same problem

5. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Yes you are covered by warranty and i would definitely recommend getting it checked out by an apple store technician, however i am wondering have you checked the output input devices (screenshot) press (option/alt) while pressing on the speaker symbol on the top.

Do you have any wireless devices that might interfere with the speaker e.g. when my phone rings my speakers crackle.

Attached Files:

6. nyucca thread starter macrumors newbie

yes, i check the in input/output and i dont think it is interference, because no matter where i go, the problem is the same

7. djaxon12 macrumors newbie

same problemo

I know this thread is over a year old but i'm having the exact same problem with my MBP. Did you end up having to take it in for repairs or what? Quietly freaking out over here.